Monday, March 25, 2013

Who has been sleeping in my house?

There was only one episode of Who's Been Sleeping in My House I did not like and that was when it was about ghosts and spirits. If you haven't caught the show, it has the show's host investigating the history of a house with an architecturally or historically interesting past. For example this week in the most recent series covered both, an interesting house and where British MP John Stonehouse hid from the authorities after faking his suicide.

At times the people who own and live in the house are just as interesting. More than once I have seen the woman of the house behaving a little bit as an English country house mistress, with pearls around her neck, carelessly dressed in quality clothing, no make up and hair a bit wild. What often lets them down is their speech. Certain words give away that they, being of a certain age and having gone to a posh private school, would speak a certain way, and they don't. In fact they drop some real classic speech clangers that marks them as being very very Australian and have not kept company with well and privately educated people in their formative years. I don't focus on the blokes of the houses so much, as they are usually in the background.

Not that any of the previous matters too much. Just an observation. Anyway, I quite enjoy the show and it is ages since I have written anything about tv.

There is a little snigger matter and person connection about the host of the show I have learnt, so if you are interested and I know who you are, send me an email.

14 comments:

  1. I don't know this programme yet, but I undoubtedly will, soon enough.

    You noted that it is ages since you have written anything about tv. Just last week the question was put "is there any programme on tv that is exciting, uplifting or intellectually thrilling?" I have had a long, hard think about the topic..but I will wait to see what other people say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On to the second series Hels. I thought it would have been up you street. There are exciting tv shows, uplifting ones and intellectual ones, but not in the same programme. Buy hey, Attenborough in the Galapagos was gripping.

      Delete
  2. Are we witnessing the last days of TV as it becomes an antiquated system of 'entertainment', unable to compete with other media both economically or socially? Or is that just me?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not for me Red. I enjoy the tv I sit down to watch, which is precious little. I half watch many shows. However, I am of a certain age.

      Delete
  3. I've never even heard of this show, much less seen it. I wouldn't know at all if the women are truly who they say they are or if they're fakes. i just can't tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, give the show one chance and see if you enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen the show yet but had heard of it. You have me intrigued now, so I will view it. As you know Andrew, snigger matter is right up my street so email me at your leisure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What channel? What day? What time? I can't find it in my TV guide. Perhaps it is only on in the Eastern states.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, 8pm Friday night, ABC1.

      Delete
  6. thought of your friend when I read this =

    "Meanwhile, the watch-and-act message issued for another fire at Derrinallum, south-west of Ballarat in Victoria, has burnt about 120 hectares and is also out of control.
    The fire near Millars Road is moving in a southerly direction and is expected to impact on Derrinallum, Taaraak, Larralea, Gnarpurt and Lismore.
    Traffic on the Hamilton Highway has been stopped by the smoke from the fire and motorists are being turned around.
    Paul Rushton was on his way from Lismore to Hamilton when he saw the fire.

    "There's a large grass fire building. As I came through from the start of it and within minutes it was fairly ferocious," he said.
    "You can't see the sky towards the north-west at the moment. It's just black with smoke and it's not very far away at all."


    I hope he is safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I replied as if it was an email. Nothing wrong with it.

      Thanks.

      Wouldn’t be the first time Derri has been burnt out. We have not been to see him for a couple of years, easter before last, ah but we did call in on our way to Adelaide. Oh, that was 18 months ago. It is so depressing to see him and his house that is falling down around him, we just can’t. We certainly can’t stay overnight in comfort and it is a long way for a day trip.

      Must tell you one day about how he, who lived for years in London, Amsterdam and Armadale in Melbourne ended up in poverty in Derri.

      What as summer it has been, and just when people were starting to relax about the fire threat, more houses gone.

      All good with you?

      Andrew.

      Delete
  7. Found it, thank you. I'll have a look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Snigger matter' do tell Andrew!

    ReplyDelete