Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Well dressed woman

There is an odd time when you have a dawning moment. In media we are assaulted by power dressed female high achievers, in their smart suits, never mind gorgeous young women in whatever apparel they choose to wear, at times quite unflattering. All blokes have to do is put on their normal suit, that disguises their fat gut, small penis and saggy arse.

I saw her in Swanston Street. She was wearing a subdued floral dress, with a pulled in belt and smart slightly raised heel shoes. She may have been mid forties, maybe fifty. I don't know if it was an expensive dress or if the shoes were expensive, but by golly, she looked all class. If you were a watcher of Keeping Up Appearances, think a bit younger Liz in similar clothing, except the Swanston Street lady was perhaps a bit wider hipped. I can't judge sexy with women, but she looked just great.

I was recently on the other side of the river, translated as the other side of tracks, but in a trendy grunge area and I started noticing girls and women who were wearing proper dresses. How nice they looked, and I don't mean dresses with a waist line under the bust or anything else silly.

I'll ignore blokes in this post, as apart from some gay guys, most older blokes dress very badly.  I often puzzle about blokes; how they can step out of a $300,000 Mercedes wearing clothes that look like they came from Target. I may well have some clothes in my wardrobe with a big red circle on the label, but I don't step out of a $300,000 car.

Big or small, skinny, svelt or fat, every woman can wear flattering clothing. Very few women over a certain age can get away with denim jeans. There are exceptions, take a bow someone, but truly not many. They may be able to get away with jeans, but are they flattering? Mostly not.

Another female blog mate who I have met,  is not Twiggy. Yet she wears clothes that look good. The focus becomes the overall picture, rather than her size. It is kind of like seeing a work of art, an effective creation.

I can only recall seeing another friend by way of blog in black slacks. I don't think she is fat, but truly, I don't know. Apart from the slacks, I don't really recall what she wore. If I did not notice, then obviously she did dress in a flattering way, at least appropriate to her age and shape. Perhaps I was more focused on her, than what she was wearing.

I often see the posh ladies in the posh suburbs and yes, tailored looks good, be it a suit or slacks and a shirt with a jacket but I must say, slacks without an overhanging top look the least flattering.

While the Swanston Street lady inspired this post, I am now recalling the last time I took Mother out to her local shopping centre in her far eastern suburb. Mother was the odd bod there in a dress. Nearly every woman was wearing something that was not flattering. Yes, ok, we all like to be comfortable, but isn't a dress comfortable to wear?

The right dress, and it does not have to be expensive, can really make a woman look so good.  Ok, I will wear the argument that dresses are not always practical, but I like to see women in dresses.

PS, another very old post that needed heavy editing, but I am so time short at the moment, so it this or nothing.


19 comments:

  1. "Women over a certain age.." I wonder what that age is. Our grandmothers looked matronly at perhaps 40, our mothers at 50 and the postwar generation not before 55. The next generation of smart-looking women will be working till they are 70!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite true Hels. My grandmother looked matronly by the age of 40. Me thinks women may have made a rod for their backs if they have to work to 70, not if they choose to of course.

      Delete
  2. Good comment from Hels. When do you think we should stop wearing denim then Andrew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, half should never have worn denim ever. Maybe when you get to the point of twisting around to look at your rear in the mirror and knowing the answer to the eternal question.

      Delete
  3. I don't have any clothes that come from Target although on me they may well look as though they do.

    I have taken lately to wearing 'slim leg' chino pants that are from a 'quality' chain. My legs are appropriately skinny but my waist, sadly, is not. I probably look like one of those cartoons of portly gentlemen from Oscar Wilde's era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Victor. Wonderful mental image, but untrue of course.

      Delete
  4. I'm totally clueless when it comes to clothes, having no idea at all what styles or colours would suit me. So it's jeans or shorts, and t-shirts most of the time. Not pretty, not well fitting, but comfortable and I can toss everything in the washing machine.
    This is a very timely post, I was thinking just this morning that I would love to have some "girlier" clothes and look nicer when I leave the house. But what to buy? Where to buy it? Should I rob a bank first?
    (Just kidding, I'd use the lay-by system).
    As for dresses and heels, I'm uncomfortable in both. Being short and wide as well as round, it's hard to get a dress that fits without major alteration, like taking up the hem by 8 or 10 inches, which generally spoils the line of the dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the trouble is when you aren't used to wearing certain clothes, and this goes for me, you don't feel so comfortable in dress ups. Regardless, treat yourself.

      Delete
  5. I belong to the women who never wear a dress or a skirt, I always wear trousers not necessarily Jeans, but with an elegant or casual top and sometimes as a costume. I had to wear "posh" my whole life while I was working, now I am fed up of skirts !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I can understand that. As long as you don't don't wear jeans down the High Street. I suppose the real point is, whatever you wear, wear it well and make sure it is flattering, or simply looks nice.

      Delete
  6. Andrew, I'll be wearing jeans until there's no longer a size that fits me because they're comfortable.

    Dresses, on the other hand, may seem comfortable but that's only when they're considered on their own. Wearing a dress in reality usually means an uncomfortable/unusual bra so that the sides or straps or backs don't show; pantyhose and painful shoes. The shoes are the nail in the coffin for voluntary dress wearing in my world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look out. Here's trouble. I can well imagine you will Kath. In fact my mental image of you never has you in a dress.

      Delete
  7. andrew you have forgotten the upper arm sag problem for us ladies of a certain age when wearing a dress. btw totally disagree with you about jeans. jeans will always be cool, especially if there are a nice cut

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Info, clearly you have the shape for jeans to flatter. All older bodies, men and women, mine included, should remain covered, with the exception of forearms, women's legs and the obvious bits. Old man chicken legs are most unattractive.

      Delete
  8. I love wearing dresses, but I'm not much of a girl. I don't have much of a sense of what suits me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely not so Fen. You have showed yourself in some fabulous outfits........ok, they were dress up and leather, but still.

      Delete
    2. And Fen, the ones I saw in Brunswick Street had full floral dresses with the waist pulled in by a belt of the same fabric. Simple, but looked so nice.

      Delete
  9. As a 'woman of a certain age',I love this very French phrase, j'adore dresses. Especially in summer and then in autumn with a little cardi and in winter with stockings and boots, yup I'm afraid I'm a girlie girl, or a woman's woman, or whatever !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just can't go wrong Grace.

      Delete