Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sunday Selections

I haven't taken many photos of late. I like to get out on my own with my camera and I haven't had much of an opportunity. Remember, every Sunday River does a Sunday's Selection post.

Balloons were going up from Fawkner Park. I wondered whether to wake our friend from Japan from her slumber to see them. I've left this photo full size. There were three balloons going up, but this one dominates. Red always dominates :-P at someone a way west.


Great that the building survives, but why did we not learn from Paris and London and keep highrise buildings away from our historic buildings.


"R, come and have a look at this. It looks like a picture," viewed from my ensuite. "Yes, I notice how nice it looks when I am cleaning your bathroom". I do my share, don't you worry about that.


Another fine building at the Paris end of Collins Street. It is a joke to call the top of Collins Street the Paris end. Paris knows better.


 Carosello Restaurant? Looks like it might be pizza and pasta to me. Nice old building in the background.


The 'Gog' had displays in its windows. This one is a forest, I think. They were fabulous, even if my photo is not.


Oh yes, it is fine old building. Moonee Ponds railway station.


Not so fine for the passengers on the 'down' side.


Just another sunset, but a pretty impressive one.


A tram departing St Kilda Station on its way to Brighton. If you are sitting at an outdoor table at the Metropol,  you are probably sitting where the tram tracks were.


A muriel (as if I would say sic on my own blog) somewhere at the eastern end of town. Better than a wall covered by graffiti.


I think I took this photo somewhere in the north western part of town, but I can't recall now. Nice chimbley.

14 comments:

  1. I wasn't aware that London and paris don't build high rise near their historic buildings.Now I think about it I guess you are right. The widow shot is good because you have used the window to frame the shot. I like the old railway station too. There are some good ones in the country which have often been turned into information centres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I am just guessing that from what I saw. There are high rise buildings in London and Paris but not in the high tourist area. It is wonderful that you can see Montmartre from the Eiffel Tower and see special buildings like The Gherkin in London.

      Delete
  2. RED always dominates indeed!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was driving to work the other morning when a big balloon drifted over the suburban road I was in, very low, It gave me a fright and I'm hoping it found somewhere to land!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, sometimes they really appear to be in trouble, but it is rare. One forced landing on the island in Albert Park Lake is the worst I can recall here.

      Delete
  4. great chimley* and great photos thanks HighRiser.

    That tram St.Kilda to BTN would be packed at weekends if still running.

    * little kids have trouble with 'mn' and that's why 1. we never hear them say indemnify or somnolent, and 2. that's why the Muppets song Mn Mn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, no tram through Elwood spoils what is a great residential area.

      I have noticed how kids struggle with somnolent :-P

      Delete
  5. Amen to this sentiment: "Great that the building survives, but why did we not learn from Paris and London and keep highrise buildings away from our historic buildings. Lots of buildings were totally destroyed. In others, only the stunning facades were maintained intact.

    *sigh* Melbourne's Central Business District was once soooooooooo beautiful, and in proportion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, in proportion is the key word. I don't dislike modern architecture so much as putting a high rise glass building next to a two storey Victorian shop.

      Delete
  6. I've never said somnolent in my life, not even as an adult. I know it means sleepy.

    I really like those fluffy meringue clouds in the sunset photo. My first thought was that I was getting a rare glimpse of buildings along a street in heaven, on the other side are angels window shopping and eating ice creams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either River. I might start now.

      A street in heaven.....very poetic.

      Delete
  7. Along St Georges Terrace we have quite a few old buildings alongside skyscrapers I like it a lot, makes for a much more diverse and interesting journey along the terrace. Excellent Sunday selection once again Andrew, you should get your camera out more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. I am especially annoyed at what happened to really historic streetscapes. Skyscrapers rarely work well at street level. Perhaps that is more a reflection on architects.

      Delete