Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Phone History

Ericsson GH218 - My first phone some time in the mid nineties I guess. The battery was separate and was removed and placed into a charger. I bought a spare battery, and so always had one charged. Originally it had  a short stubby aerial but as an inducement to get a firmware upgrade so that it would dial our emergency services number, 000, the aerial was replaced with this superior more whippy one.  I sold the phone to a friend for $100 and he left it in the back of a taxi cab and it was not returned.



Ericsson GH337 - I can't recall this one very well. It was a bit smaller and lighter and the charger plugged into the phone. Not sure what happened to it. Maybe it was disposed of in a phone recycling box. I think I received my first sms on this phone, sent by a friend from a computer to my phone.


Ericsson T10 - A dabble in the area of flip phones. A couple of people I knew at work had similar and invariably snapped the flip off. Amazingly it did not seem to matter. The phone still worked. Proudly, I never snapped the flip off. I gave it to a friend, who promptly snapped the flip off.



Ericsson T65 - This was a funny little phone. It worked ok. When I was finished with it, another friend asked if he could have it. No! It had Tetris installed and my new one did not. I don't think I ever played Tetris on it again, but I might have wanted to. I still  have it.


Sony Ericsson K500i - Sony and Ericsson had hooked up and things just got better. This is the smallest and lightest phone I have owned. I still have it. Post the 2009 bush fires, people desperately needed phone charges to replace theirs that had had been lost, so we gathered up our old ones and posted them to an address, so I don't think I have a charger for it.


Sony Ericsson K610i - Still a smart enough looking phone, even today. It still works. I was charging it in case R's rels need a phone while they are here. You can see someone was thinking about on screen icons, selected by the small and fiddly joystick in the centre.


Samsung S8300 Ultra Touch - This one was a semi smart phone. While it had a slide out keyboard, you could also operate it by touching the screen. It is by far the most attractive phone I have owned. I so wanted one, but I did not want to pay the asking price, so I found one second hand through Ebay. I very nearly had my fingers burnt. The seller disappeared from Ebay just a couple of days after I received the phone. He did leave some nice photos of himself on the phone though. I still have it, and of course I was going to give to R's rels when they are here, but blow, I took the back off it and could not get it back on because the battery had swelled up. It is stuffed. Note, the name Ericsson has disappeared.


Samsung Galaxy S 19000T - My present phone. I like it but although I was happy with a couple of the changes, I wish I had not upgraded the firmware.


Must say though, I am getting itchy fingers again.



14 comments:

  1. I think I started with an Ericsson too but then I had a series (3 or 4) of Nokias before then moving to iPhones (first the iPhone 4, now the iPhone 5) , my current mobile phone of choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, about the same number as I have had. I was never keen on Nokia and apprehensive about leaving Sony for Samsung.

      Delete
  2. I'm showing my age, but my first phone had to be carrier around like a small case. It was aptly named 'The Brick' and presented me with lots of 'dropouts.' What did we ever do without mobile phones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were rippers Bill. Did it have a phone number with one less digit than our present numbers? I recall some did, even later than the bricks.

      Delete
  3. I like how the screens have got bigger over the years, it's much easier now to read a long text.
    I started with an Ericsson, but don't remember which model, then there was very briefly a peece of sheet something or other, then a Nokia which worked extremely well for years and is still going strong, owned by a close friend. Was and is very easy to use. Now have a Samsung which is probably six or seven years old and I'm still happy with it. Also easy to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I just checked and from top to bottom, each phone has a bigger screen. I never noticed. You must be due a smart phone by now, a retirement present for yourself.

      Delete
  4. aaah I had those first two phones too!

    I love my smart phone, thankfully I'm not obsessed with it but it comes in handy at least once or twice a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I knew you had the first one, but the second one too!

      Delete
  5. I was a late starter haha! Seriously I never wanted a mobile phone, they seemed so invasive to me. I watched people in cafes talking while with someone sat waiting and thought 'how rude'. I Do have one now, but all I want from it is to receive and make calls and texts, wouldn't ever contemplate taking a photo with one, quelle horreur!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, you may be the exception, but my friends who held out the longest went onto to become the most avid users.

      Delete
  6. The Ericsson was my first one (1998) - bought so that I could contact Love Chunks during my preggo phase. That phone proved to be embarrassing by 2004 when a tiny Nokia was bought...
    ....lasting until only a few months ago when the iPhone 5 was purchased, thus changing my life for the better. Can't recommend it enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, you will never get dementia if you buy a new phone every couple of years and learn how to use it. Have you heard of the 'tradie phone'? My brother has one, an old Nokia that can take rough treatment.

      Delete
  7. I had a brick-like Nokia phone before having an Ericsson GH337 from work but any work trips to the country I'd have to take a chunky analogue as it got better reception out bush.

    I left that job and ended up going back to Nokia and went through 5 different Nokias (upgrading each time my contract expired) but then reluctantly moved from Nokia to a HTC/Android but in hindsight it was the best change to make. Nokia have let themselves down in the smartphone market.

    My existing contract has about another 6 months to go. I will probably go for a replacement HTC.

    Regarding your earlier comment, the analogue mobile phones had 9-digit numbers while the digital network has always been 10-digits.

    Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, stupid me. Of course, analogue phones were 9 digits. I just forgot. People of the bush still fondly remember their successful signal quality of their cdma phones, while they are standing on their roof, trying to get digital reception.

      Kids used to love Nokia. How did Nokia fall out of favour so fast?

      Now, you are either Iphone or Samsung, but I did read some reviews of HTC and they are as good, if not better. They just don't have the cred, but a year can be a long time in phone time.

      Delete