Thursday, March 28, 2013

Mash Up (sad old person using young people's words)

Tuesday evening.

I don't think I have done this for a long time but I liked the look of someone who commented on someone else's blog, so I looked at her blog and it is a good one and I made a comment. Oh, she seems quite productive, been around for a while, is a bit tech savvy and posts daily. Can I possibly add another blog to read and give it due focus? It is a blog that needs proper reading, not a single quick click.

I have little in common with her, but what do I have in common with other blog mates? Precious little. I don't think I have any regular readers who are gay, of a similar age as myself and in a relationship. Well, maybe one.

The only common links I can manage is a sense of social justice, an interest in the world and the ability to write and entertain. Well, there is the disproportionate ex school teacher factor too.

Little Jo has just kicked the wall, I think. 'Let her be', I say. R goes and settles her some more. Sister and Bone Doctor are at Rod Laver Arena and probably singing Born in the USA as I type.

R cooked a wonderful dinner, eaten in 20 minutes by them. I had to do prep, shock horror. Get everything ready, as the 'retired' R had to work until late and did not get home until ten to six. Dinner was served by twenty past.

Dinner conversation:

Me: "So Bone Doctor, will you be getting into the mosh pit?"
BD: "I don't think so."
Me: "It strikes me that it would be rather good for your line of work if 40/50/60 year olds did get in a mosh pit".
BD: "True."
Me: "It just occurred to me that you, as a doctor, aren't interested in curing people, because once cured, they no longer need your service".
BD made a wry grin and possibly wished Sister did not have such family encumbrances.

Little Jo is silent now. R is showering and 'taking his eyes out'.

Tomorrow, I must face the second day of work training, the final day. After doing the same job for 34 years, apparently I need re-training. Today was not all bad. There was a cuteish guy at the session and I had a laugh with long time workmates.

Killer hot day tomorrow. Will the endless summer ever end? Surely there can't be hot days in April.

Later: I rarely remember dreams, but I had a very silly one Tuesday night and I do remember it vividly. In the dream I was about to grab a feather duster from an old lady who was being threatening with it and what I actually did in my sleep was swing my arm out from the bed, hit the bedside lamp and it crashed into the wall. I woke with a start and that is why I recall the dream. It's never happened to me before that I know of.

14 comments:

  1. Younger people might be surprised at the amount of hours we 'retired' seniors work every week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Victor, although R does get paid.

      Delete
  2. That's the fun thing about blogging. Every now and then you come across an interesting blog, start to comment and get comments back and before long you have new blogging friends, no matter what they do, believe or are.

    Have a great Easter, Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, someone smarter than myself, and possibly you, could write a thesis on blog connections. I find it quite fascinating, which is perhaps why I persisted pinning down The Blogger about U3A students wanting to know about blogging.

      Delete
  3. ha ha ha i've had dreams where I've woken myself up shouting or doing something really odd. It's a bit disconcerting and slightly embarrassing for a second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First for me Fen, that I know of. I suspect it is not really.

      Delete
  4. Clicking on new commenters at my blog has led me to several nice blogs which I now follow.
    Summer is definitely ending, we've had cool breezes and rain over here with temperatures in the low to mid twenties. Very comfortable weather and great for sleeping at night too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, for sure. But clicking on someone who is commenting on someone else's blog is a step further. When bloggers disappear, I feel sad and tell myself I take it all too seriously.

      As you may have seen on the news, with two people killed by wind gusts and a fallen wall, the weather has changed here too, and for the better.

      Delete
  5. How can you say we don't have much in common Andrew, we both like to admire handsome muscly French men :) and we both love your Mum, I could go on....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two things Grace, it is a start.

      Delete
  6. Oh I've done that too, clicked on commenters on other blogs if I've liked what they said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fight the urge to do it. I just can't fit anymore people in my life.

      Delete
  7. Hillarious - the dream - I have been having of late very vivid dreams - everyone I know is in them and there is chaos but I don't seem able to finish important tasks -

    maybe...might make sense am having awful trouble trying to get a job which I need - age 59 - good computer skills - a happy little Vegemite who gets on well with folk -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, maybe a dream interpreter could make something of it. I go with the thought that your dreams are connected to something you were thinking about before sleeping.

      If I were an employer, I would snap you up. You have a good record for tenacity and being a stayer.

      Delete