Friday, March 29, 2013

Going down in Zurich

I think it was our resident Francophile Grace from Perth Daily Photo who mentioned a funicular at Montmartre in Paris. I took a look at it and I judge it to be modern and very functional, but not so interesting. Sorry Grace. Budapest's funicular is still streets ahead with character and the Leas Lift with mechanical interest.

This one though, in the hills around Zurich in not bad. Might Kath in Geneva have travelled on it? How many more blog people can I ingratiatingly slip in? The view becomes nicer as the funicular climbs, and possibly the socio-economic demographics increase. There is a view of the city of Zurich down below. The down hill car crossing is obscured by the a building, but you know it must be there to follow the funicular principle, something must come down as something is going up, and both help each other up and down. Might be a good idea for life.



10 comments:

  1. My favourite is the Central Funicular in Naples.

    Lots of cities have funiculars that tend to be used by tourists or wedding photographers. Naples' system, on the other hand, was built to provide real public transport to real families.

    Mind you, those slopes can be steep and nasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check it out Hels. I think Hong Kong has built a very long escalator to get people up a steep hill.

      Delete
  2. I read about one Angels Flight in Los Angeles in a Michael Connelly crime novel (thanks Copperwitch).
    Melbourne needs one on Punt Hill and Ballarat needs one on Dana St Hill which is even steeper than Punt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A quick glance Ann, tells me is looks good. I need to have a bit more American in my blog. I don't know that hill in Ballarat. Will check it out.

      Delete
  3. Never been out of Australia - so anything you post is new thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, I would like to say overseas is culturally stimulating and of course seeing how other people live, but I could honestly live without o/s travel. It is hard work at times.

      Delete
  4. Yup you're right this one is fab..how weird that here and in other spots around the world people catch a funicular the same way most people catch a bus! Shame it wasn't arriving at Montmartre :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, fitness is all very well, but why walk when the funicular can carry you.

      Delete
  5. The first one I went on was in Penang in the 60's. Been on quite a few in Switzerland since TOH comes from there. We did the Zurich one last time we were there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't remind me Diane. It was closed for maintenance when we were there last year, even though it was nearly a brand new system, replacing the old one. Yes, I think Switzerland has many.

      Delete