Friday, February 15, 2013

Routing

Our friend from Japan has arrived. She stayed two nights elsewhere, staying with us for two nights and then on to her sister's. Today is her birthday and we have been out for dinner.

She has a work supplied Ipad. It is quite snazzy. It has picked up wireless signals from friends' routers and in public places, but for some reason, it won't allow her laptop to connect to our router. It seems to connect, but then times out and no connection. A bit of restarting, re-entering the password has been done, but to no avail. There is a note she saw somewhere that the Ipad may not be compatible with certain routers, but ours is Belkin, quite a well known and popular brand.

I know nothing of Apple products, but if you do, any thoughts?

I would have have said, stupid Apple stuff, but our laptop used to connect to the router when the laptop was switched on. Now, for some reason, you have to disconnect once it has connected, but not really connected, and  connect again. Odd.

4 comments:

  1. I heard you need to tweak certain settings on the laptop. I can't speak for Apple since I don't use their products, only a lowly iPod nano (the bekkie looking one)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. She isn't here at the moment but when she returns, we will get tweaking. Now what year did I first hear the term, plug and play?

      Delete
  2. "Connection has timed out"; "firefox can't find server at..." these words are so very familiar to me. I've been seeing them at intervals ever since I moved here. Before that too, but less often. In the last three days, it's almost all that I have seen on my screen. Of course we have our Fringe Festival going on right now, so the airwaves are filled with facebooking and tweeting from all the tourists who have come in to join our own Adelaideans with their i-phones and i-pads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I think you are with the big telephone company. It really is not good enough. You must complain.

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.