Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Lighting our lives

We liked our old lamp. I had to rewire a new transformer into it once, no actually twice. I realised by basic arithmetic that the wattage of the globes had to reduced to match the new transformer. 25w halogen bulbs worked well. Originally the lit parts were clear, but they were too bright. R painted them red and blue with enamel to match the other colours and baked them in the oven.



But finally they just wore out. Two of the lights were out as their non accessible wiring broke. Time for a new lamp. R saw this handmade one for sale, reduced from $400 to $100 and he rather liked it and so do I.

Little Jo lamented, Andrew, I liked the old lamp. So did we Little Jo, but it was old and broke down (rather like your Nanny is doing, Little Jo)

Since I took the photo, we have put smaller wattage bulbs in the new lamp and it works better. While the red is fabric, I don't know what the whitish part is, but it is very fragile and not to be touched as it flakes off.

10 comments:

  1. Well now you are all lit up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, we are very pleased with the lighting effect.

      Delete
  2. great photo Architectural Digest style.
    take care with implanting concepts in little kids - lamp worn out like gran, get new one.
    When gran goes to god LJ will ask which shop are we going to for a new one.
    X X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, Little Jo walked in on a conversation between Sister and Mother. Mother was saying, 'when I'm gone.....' Little Jo said, 'Nanny, you have to look after yourself so you last a very long time'.

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure I like it. It looks okay, but I couldn't live with something that is not to be touched because parts of it are fragile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it doesn't really need to be touched often. It is not like we have kids running around all the time.

      Delete
  4. Very stylish Andrew, I would expect nothing less! Looks cosy at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it is a real winter lamp.

      Delete
  5. Snazzy, I like it. I'm all for lamps and mood lighting, I loathe those bright ceiling things. I rarely turn mine on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I heard on the radio a woman who had her bathroom renovated. The electrician suggested 12 halogen downlights. The woman suggest he too another look, as the old bathroom was lit well enough with one light. I too dislike overhead lights.

      Delete