Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Life

Saturday, arrive home from work at 7.30. I have no wind down time.  I say the wrong thing, and then the fighting started.  Ex Sis in Law, Oldest Niece and Hippie Niece and friend arrive for dinner from seeing a show in town. R did them proud, with a potato bake, a salad and take away pizza.

Sunday was a  mad and crazy day at work. Arrive home somewhat stressed. Left eye feels a bit weird.

Monday, wake and only one eye will open. The left is glued firmly shut. Prise it open. R tells me to go to doctor. Call doctor and make appointment for tomorrow, my day off. Eye is quite bad and I am not seeing well. I prevaricate until I see rising mist from the corners of my eye. Call doctor for appointment today. No vacancy, on a wait list. Call work to inform them I will be a no show.

R arrives home early from work, let us go and book our holiday. Have you seen a doctor? No. Then go across the road to the doctor there. I call, yes appointment at 2.30. Diagnosis of conjunctivitis, no surprise. You can have today off and you are not working Tuesday, you will ok by Wednesday for work. I am doubtful and wishing I persisted in seeing my own doctor who is more trusting of me knowing when I am well or not well.

Attend travel agent and book holiday. Eye is improving. Get prescribed eye drops.

Tuesday, eye is much better. Deliver car for annual service. Mention that a couple of times the key is really hot when I extract it from the ignition. Catch tram to Prahran from St Kilda and have a breakfast roll and coffee at Tran Bakery. Buy a couple of things at the shops and home on the bus by 9.30. Garage calls, time for a new timing belt. Water pump is weeping, replace. New tyres are required. I ok'd the first two. I am doubtful that the tyres are so worn.

Spend much time completing the spring clean, delayed from October until Jan/Feb, so the place is at its best when our overseas visitors arrive, our friend from Japan on Thursday and a couple of weeks later, R's sister and bro in law. No one notices clean, but they do they do notice dirty. The balcony is spotless and in total only about five hours labour at a slow pace. The cleaning of the balcony is hard because of firstly the barbeque, which spatters grease, and the internal exhaust fan that expels not only bathroom air, but range hood air. It is the red hot wok with its oil fumes that makes the balcony exhaust fan outlet greasy. I certainly did not clean the area in 2012, but I am sure I did in 2011. Maybe not.

Garage calls, sorry, car not ready until tomorrow morning. Have it ready by 10.30, if you please, as I need it to go to work.

Although my eye felt pretty well ok this morning, it has deteriorated as the day has gone on. I am not sure that I will be able to go to work tomorrow. I rather need clear vision for at work.

Meanwhile, I am feeling physically frail and I wish I could get motivated to use our pool for exercise, as River is doing. I only have to get our lift down to our pool.

20 comments:

  1. Hello Andrew:
    Oh dear, this all sounds infinitely depressing and we are so sorry about your eye which, we trust, is now improving.

    AS for the car, sell it [after all you really do use public transport] and use the proceeds to hire a maid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ayLa, as I type, the eye is not better. I am sure I will need another day off work. What a tragedy.

      There are sound financial reasons for me to not have a car and if our public transport was as reliable as yours, I would not need a car.

      Sadly, I would have to pay a maid only a tiny bit less than I earn per hour. As is said here, or used to be, Jack is as good as his mate, and that includes anyone hired to labour.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your eye. Cleaning the balcony wouldn't have done your eye much good. Keep up the drops. In the old days we used Golden Eye ointment. I wonder if chemists still have it. Its contagious so be careful not to touch your other eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I remember the Golden Eye ointment. The drops are called Chlorisig, or something like that. I am being very careful about the transfer from eye to eye, as some twenty years ago, that happened.

      Delete
  3. Well poop about yer eye, and poop about car expenses. But great about the guests arriving - entertaining is, I suspect, something you were born to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not me FC. R does entertaining much better.

      Delete
  4. Is conjunctivitis infectious?

    Even if it is only one of those nasty, passing conditions that zap you in a weak moment, it is still exhausting. Be gone, conjunctivitis!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it is infectious. Once I managed to transfer it from one eye to the other.

      Delete
  5. You have a pool that close and don't use it????
    Shame on you!
    If I had a pool that close, I'd be there everyday.
    Get down there and swim.
    Or at least frolic in the water for a bit.
    But not while you have conjunctivitis, that's not a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I am hardening my resolve to begin swimming again.

      Delete
  6. oh dear, so sorry about the conjunctivitis - not easy to tolerate, and as River wisely says, pool will have to wait.

    "The key assembly has a unit attached to it to read the Security code in the key and sometimes when these start to go bad they overheat"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I hope I keep my motivation once my eye is better.

      I doubt my thirteen year old car has a security code in the key. And then the passenger window went kerplunk and had to be forced up and disconnected from the switches.

      Delete
  7. Have only had conjunctivitis once, having caught it off baby Sapphire. NOT fun, so I hope the drops work and you're back to work and have the 'INFECTIOUS - AVOID' label removed.

    THEN - get your arse down to YOUR POOL that is in YOUR BUILDING (lucky duck!) and swim!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considerably better now Kath. I will have a permanent chlorine odour.

      Delete
  8. Second sentence in made me LOL Andrew! Bad luck about the eye, guessing it won't take too long to sort itself out in time to have fun with your gests!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, you would think after such a long time together, there would not be friction of little things.

      Delete
    2. Oh there's always going to be friction Andrew!

      Delete
  9. PINK EYE!!! I went through a phase of getting it rather too often for my liking. It was hideous.

    Get in that pool young man, you'll feel much better for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, and how is your exercise programme going?

      Delete
    2. It's going very well. I do all my exercise from home now as my gym membership has run out. I still do PT from time to time, however my trainer is on her honeymoon <3

      Delete