Friday, February 01, 2013

I am not dying

Eye test result, prone to heredity problems, but no strong sign yet. Begorrah, I knew I could see.

Doctor ordered blood tests taken three months ago were reported and indicate normal lung, liver and kidney function. I was much surprised and also surprised that my Vitamin D is a little low. That is the exposure to sunlight one. I get plenty of that.

While there is nothing wrong with R's teeth, he is ordered for a check every six months and diligently attends. Same dentist told me to return in two years. That could well be because it was four years since my last visit, so they figure if they can get me back in two years, they are doing well.

At the age of 55 I should have received a bowel cancer test kit form the government. It has not appeared. I must query with them. Doctor said he can organise one, and I doubt that would be free, but how brave was I was I to ask my hot as doctor about bowel cancer? I expect he won't feature in my fantasies for a while. I wrote the bulk of this a few days and I just received notification of a bowel cancer test kit on its way.

But I can't forget my 2011 experience of doctors, including Bone Doctor lifting her eyebrows,  looking worried at my heart ecg print out. It was investigated with a heart stress test and an MRI scan and it seems it is ok. At least I did not attend for the MRI post a cold, like Kath did, and end up with snot on my face. Bless.

10 comments:

  1. Lots of people our age have said the same thing as you - that something always triggers a serious health scare in middle age. Even if your test results are fine, you will never consider yourself immortal again.

    My parents (aged 88 and 90) have to leave their independent living situation for low care. I haven't slept for a week :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Hels, that must have been hard, for them and you, but I am sure it will be better for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm only 5 years overdue for my colonoscopy for bowel cancer investigations. I'm in no hurry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Fen, nor would I be.

      Delete
  4. Your Vitamin D is low? Fish liver oils and mushrooms are good sources of Vitamin D and I believe sweetcorn is too. If you get plenty of sunshine and your levels are still low, I would suggest finding out why your body is not utilising the Vitamin as it should be. Perhaps your thyroid is under functioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I do take fish oil capsules and I don't like mushrooms. Nor is corn my favourite food. I get plenty of sun really. Thyroid, hmm, maybe.

      Delete
  5. Andrew, it seems that many in Australia have low vitamin D levels. It seems odd to me - perhaps they need to rethink the required levels. I walk at least half an hour every day and my levels are a bit low (recent test) despite the fact that it's summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Frank. Yes, it seems odd that mine is low. Very low D can have quite some effect, I believe. I guess I will take supplements. Ten minutes in the sun should be enough time to keep your level up. Odd.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to know that all is well Andrew. You are so much better than I. I'm a total ostrich 'head in sand' when it comes to checks, still haven't had a breast exam yet, I'm so irresponsible..eh! What can yiu do!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, you really should get checks, especially at your.....oops.

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.