Friday, February 22, 2013

Duck your head

Melbourne has quite a number of bridges which are regularly struck by trucks, the best known one being the railway bridge in Spencer Street at Flinders Street. This bridge has tram overhead wires running under it and is on the route of some half a dozen different trams. Not only is there massive traffic disruption when a truck hits the bridge, invariably tram wires are damaged and trams can't pass, causing even more chaos.

As has been discussed here before, it remains a mystery to non truck drivers as to why it happens, when there are warning signs everywhere, often height detecting warning lights, yet still truck drivers plough into the bridges. I hope Vic Roads has cameras set up at the bridges so that at the least, the truck drivers can be prosecuted.

I am reminded of a few years ago when an elderly couple in their brand new campervan arrived on the ferry from Tasmania. They left the terminal and within ten minutes drove under the Montague Street rail bridge, and demolished most of their campervan.

Is it a defect in Australian genes that causes such stupidity?

Apparently not, as this video from Durham in North Carolina demonstrates. Unless you are fond of the theme from Rocky, I suggest leaving the speakers off. The Benny Hill theme might have worked better. I particularly liked the removal of some sort of container at 1.50.


21 comments:

  1. Do lorry drivers not have a sign inside their cabs telling them the height of their vehicles or is that just too easy an option?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, I believe they do have that prominently displayed in their cabs. I know minibuses do.

      Delete
  2. Ha ha, how do you keep finding the good ones?

    People have probably been fighting for years about whether to lower the road or not. Maybe the department responsible is headed by the owner of a crash repair shop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, they just come to me from a variety of sources, because I spend to much time on the www.

      I did see somewhere mention of lowering the road, instead of observing signs. Crash repair places love wet weather, and probably low bridges too.

      Delete
  3. Ah yes, and the one on Racecourse Road, Flemington seemed to get trucks stuck under it on a near-monthly basis too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, I think that bridge has been performing very well of late, with more strikes and more tram announcements, Yarra Trams apologize for the inconvenience for disruption to route 57.

      Delete
  4. Fun60 has a good suggestion.
    I personally think all trucks should be banned from roads that have low bridges. Let them find an alternate route to their destination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think ALL trucks should be banned from suburban roads! Use trains instead.

      Delete
    2. River, I am sure they have the height inside the vehicle, right in front of them. Trucks are banned from the roads I mentioned. But who enforces it?

      I agree Hels. The biggest we should see is white vans.

      Delete
    3. I've just had a thought, (shocking I know, but sometimes my brain surprises me by actually waking up), perhaps after many years of repairs and resurfacing, the distance between road and bridge is no longer correct. Maybe someone (not me) should go around measuring these things and reporting to the roads department or trucking companies or whoever needs to be told.

      Delete
    4. River, that could certainly happen, but the ones that are regularly hit in Melbourne would be correct. I have a theory that the actual height limit is slightly more than what is stated for the bridge. Truckies know this and they think if they are maybe one centimetre over, they will get through.

      Delete
  5. This is awesome, you know how much I love drivers doing dumb things on camera <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you Fen? You might like living here. As the the week progresses, more and more cars get flashed by the cameras down below, peaking on Saturday night.

      Delete
    2. well you'll just have to invite me over to sit on your balcony and chuckle!

      Delete
    3. Mostly it is head shaking in wonderment at the tangle people get themselves into.

      Delete
  6. I know I shouldn't laugh but that was insanely hilarious! Did you notice that one or two of the trucks were going so fast, that although they had a quick trim they went straight through without getting stuck like the majority!! There's a wee bit of a problem and that's a fact haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If nothing was visible from down below, it might be a long time before anyone noticed the scrap along the top of the truck. Every time I see a campervan with an air con on top, I think, do take care at bridges and in carparks.

      Delete
  7. I'm with Hels about banning trucks from suburban roads. Bring back the rail network, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree 200% about bring back the rail network, it's faster and safer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, freight on trains to railway stations and railway yards, and then delivered by vans or small trucks.

      Delete