Monday, February 25, 2013

By Design

Last year Sister held a successful Tupperware party. If you don't know what these are, you invite friends for drinks and nibbles and sell them plastic things and the host of the party gets a commission back from Tupperware. Sister asked if we wanted anything and R suggested a couple of food containers. We received them eventually and Sister said don't worry about the money. The party must have been successful.

When I say plastic things, they are mostly containers and kitchen aids. They are very well made and last many years.  We have a Tupperware lettuce container and celery container that must be twenty five years old. They are also beautifully designed. Here is one of the two food containers.

The small handles don't get overly hot and make it easy to remove from the microwave. A sensible easy to use lid handle makes for simple removal lid removal.

The container is principally for reheating food. You don't have to loosen the lid or cover the bowl with plastic wrap. You just remove the soft rubber grommet. 

The grommet lifts up, and you pull it out by the tab, and into the microwave the bowl goes.

See the little vent holes around the main hole. Even if you forget to remove the grommet, the pressure with blow it upwards as above and the steam will be released.

The bowl itself is made of hard plastic with a textured inside, which means it won't show scratches. Naturally, all three components can go into the dishwasher.


I would call it a very well designed bowl for storing and reheating food. Good design is a wonderful thing. Here is a plug for the usually interesting programme By Design, presented by Fenella Kernebone each Wednesday on ABC Radio National.

17 comments:

  1. I think I will definitely have to look into getting one of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith, they are just simple and brilliant, although as usual with me, there is a danger they have been around for years and I never knew about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good old 'rock and serves', I think they are - bought some at a T party a decade ago and nearly sobbed when I sold them at the garage sale before moving here.... *sniffle*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, I just knew I was way behind the times. Tupperware is not big in Geneva?

      Delete
    2. Not really. Even 'cheap' plastic storage containers are frighteningly expensive, so Tupperware is undoubtedly sold next to the Chanel shop.

      Delete
  4. I adore tupperware. Back when I had money I purchased some and I still love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I guess it does indicate, quality costs.

      Delete
  5. I can't believe you said "if you don't know what these are..."
    I don't think there is anyone in a developed country who doesn't know about Tupperware and its parties.
    I have some Tupperware that is quite old and some that is even older from the original set I bought before my first marriage. It does last very well and is guaranteed too, so if a piece should split as the lids sometimes do, replacements are free if they are still available. Nowadays I find Tupperware to be hugely expensive so if I need anything new, I'll buy a similar item from K-Mart or even from the Reject Shop where I can get plasticware for a very little cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I don't know. I assume Tupperware is American. Would English people know of it? Of course yes, buy whatever for a dollar and chuck it away and buy a new one once it breaks. We make good use of takeaway food containers.

      Delete
  6. OMG this brought back memories Andrew..only I'm not sure if they were good ones! About three hundred years ago (ok slight exaggeration) one of the family got involved in Tupperware, then of course we all had to 'have a party' then go to all the other parties..it went on for such a long time until in the end I think I just couldn't face one more Tupperware party without the possibility of my behaving badly and shouting noooooooooo more!! Funny thing is, I'm still using that three hundred year old (?) 'stuff'! Must be good hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tupperware parties have been around a very long time Grace. Part of the world's culture.

      Delete
  7. I didn't want to go to the Tupperware party (back in the 1990s) and I didn't have a good time. But i did the right thing by my hostess and bought three salad bowls and lids. They still work perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I think my mother has Tupperware from the sixties, still ok.

      Delete
  8. An acquaintance visits op shops, buys up Tupperware that she wants irrespective of its condition for uber-cheap prices, then takes any damaged pieces to the T-ware dealer for 'lifetime guarantee' exchange!!!

    I don't think I'd have the chutzpah to do that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Red, I don't think I could do that either.

      Delete
  9. What sort of a weird name is Fenella anyway? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, that did not pass me by. She sounds nice.

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.