Friday, January 04, 2013

You would walk uphill?

Is an interest in funicular railways unhealthy? Possibly, perhaps especially if they are the alternative to exercise by a decent uphill walk. The first funicular that grabbed my attention was one in Kent, England. I signed a petition to save it and have it restored. It now has been and there is plenty of information around about the Leas Lift.

I heard that there was a funicular railway in Zahgreb, Croatia. Let me look. Yes, certainly beats walking up a steep hill. It appears to be functional, without being too stylish. Croatia is hardly a rich country, so functional will have to do.



I remember Jayne and Lance, affectionately known as JayLa, mentioning that there was a funicular in Budapest, at Castle Hill, and so there is and doesn't it just look gorgeous. There is no point in me repeating the history of it when it is spelt out at You Tube if you go to the You Tube website. Suffice to say, it is has been there in one form or another for a long time. It looks very stylish.


17 comments:

  1. I didn't realise there is a funicular in Budapest. We were driven up and down by bus. I would have preferred the funicular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much more interesting Victor. I didn't realise you went to the castle.

      Delete
  2. If there is a funicular in a particular site, there is a very good reason for it!!

    At 18, I climbed up the side of exhilarating Masada Mountain in Israel. The weather was very hot, the path was narrow and rocky, and the experience was exhausting. Years later, they built a cable car up to the top and I wondered why on earth I did the heroic version as an adolescent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it is not so bad when you are young, but oh, long steep climbs are hard work for us now. Do it slowly, with lots of breaks. We did a few in Malaysia, in the heat.

      Delete
  3. Why stop with funiculars (funiculae??)? All other vehicles are potentially unhealthy if they're an alternative to exercise!!!

    Besides, how can you look at these pix and NOT want to get aboard??!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, the views are often quite good too. I was very glad of the one we travelled on in Penang, http://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/malaysia-day-8-part-1.html

      Although, perhaps they are a little like steam trains, better to watch than to travel on, if you are just doing it for fun.

      Delete
  4. I loved the funiculars in Lisbon, however I never got to go on one. One day I shall go back and travel up and down all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, do you recall my post about funiculars in Porto?

      Delete
    2. nope,but that's not saying much, I have a bad memory!

      Delete
  5. I love a good funicular Andrew, my favourite being the one in Paris that goes up the hill to the Sacre Coeur, c'est tres manifique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, not much better in life than a good funicular. I know what what is near Sacre Coeur. Montmarte, isn't it? Now I have look at another funicular. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
    2. Can you ever look at too many funiculars haha! It is by Montmartre Andrew, you should put it on your bucket list, there's nothing quite like a French funicular!!

      Delete
    3. Can't say I I tried one Grace.

      Delete
  6. That's a pretty steep hill and I would certainly prefer to ride up than walk it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So would I River, so would I.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just back from my holiday, where I visited Budapest - as well as the Sikló (funicular railway), on the outskirts of the city they also have a rack railway running up the Buda Hills:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Cog-wheel_Railway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcus, I did not realise I have previously put up a video of the Castle Hill funicular, at the same time as I posted about the rack railway. Look forward to hearing about your travels.
      http://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2011/09/downtown-in-hungary.html

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.