Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Words of Comfort

There is no conformation that any lives have been lost in the Tasmanian fires, which is pleasing to hear, but many people have lost their houses and that is truly awful. Today I heard on the radio someone who lost her house in the terrible Victorian fires of 1983. Paraphrasing, she said ten years down the track, you forget about the house you lost, but you don't forget about your family members who survived the fire.

The Victorian CFA and DSE try to save properties, but their focus is on lives, as it should be. No doubt this point is the focus for fires Australia wide. Lives first, property second.

For all the comfort we city dwellers have, at times we seem to live in a cursed country. Fire threatens our fellow citizens often.



I had misfiled these stunning photos and only recently came across them in an obscure file. I am sure I kept them for a reason, but I don't know why.  I have no memory of the fires around Hobart in 2006, but the photos are quite striking.

12 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed that no lives are lost. Just wondering how your spam situation is since you turned off the anonymous comments option?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Windsmoke, not one since, except when I briefly switched back to the former, and they started to flow in.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year and hope the weather remains good for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. The weather is not too great. It has been very hot.

      Delete
  3. I was living in Bendigo when the Maryborough-Avoca fires got going in January 1985. People died, houses and farms were burned to the ground and thousands of animals couldn't escape the inferno. The burning smell and the smell of fear lingered for ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More I cannot recall Hels. It must be horrible and I don't want to think about the poor animals.

      Delete
  4. I saw some of the fires on the news tonight. They do look fierce and I sincerely hope they get put out as quickly as possible with no loss of lives. I heard that three young people have been arrested for starting some of the fires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, probably too young to be prosecuted. Something needs to be done about that, in all states.

      Delete
  5. For the first time in 30+ years my Dad no longer lives in a bushfire prone area. I am thankful for that as it gives me grey hairs. Going through Ash Wednesday was bad enough and I was only 8. Those images are burned into my brain in the same way as the flames burned into everything that year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good Fen. My Tradie Brother moved to Cockatoo the year after Ash Wednesday and I remember the very visible damage and destruction.

      Delete
  6. They really are stunning images Andrew.. It just amazes me that we have this problem each year, more funds desperately need to be allocated to keeping fire prone areas clear and of course arsonists who are caught ( unfortunately not too many of them) should be as proposed be made to come face to face with the burnt and charred animals and the folk who have lost everything....and then after that, thrown in a dungeon somewhere for a very long time..even if they are only young ratbags, maybe then they won't grow up into bigger ratbags..harsh I know, but all those terrified animals really get to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree about their stunningness Grace, which I guess is why I saved them. I don't disagree with your punishment for those who light fires. Some animals know how to flee from a fire. Most don't.

      Delete