Monday, January 28, 2013

We don't have gas

Him: 'Sweetheart, we need gas, gas for the barbeque.'

Me:  'Ok my dearest.' Check gas gauge and still in ok state. Weight is what I go by, and it is feeling a bit light. Better get gas soon.

Him: 'We need gas for the barbe. Can you get a new bottle next week?'

Me: 'Ok.' There is still a good bit left. No rush.

Him tidied up the barbeque the next time it was used and I looked online as I knew the gauge was unreliable. Pour hot water over the bottle was the best advice. I will do that. I hate the thought of swapping back a gas bottle, still half full. I didn't follow through.

Him: 'Can you turn the barbe on'.

Me: 'Ok. Dearest, there is no gas left why didn't you tell me the gauge had gone into the red zone?' Barbeque fails to proceed.

Him: 'I told you to get gas. You are an effing know it all, pondering about how much gas is left, penny pinching about returning unused gas, checking on the internet about to check gas levels in bottles. I told you to get a replacement gas bottle, and you didn't.'

I had only had one glass of pre dinner wine, so I dashed out and returned in twelve minutes with a new gas bottle.

And then the fighting started.

Right back to 1979.

15 comments:

  1. put the one you've used once, on the bathroom scales, record weight; put a full one on the bathroom scales, record weight. take the scales with you to the 7-11 to perform this cute trick if you have too.

    Once you know the top weight and the weight missing after one use, you will know how low you can go before refill Mr Miser.

    no hitting.
    x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Ann, I recall I had a .doc file with gas bottle weights. I diligently weighed the full bottle and weighed it subsequently, but for some reason, I never finished the task and a few years later, deleted the file. Gas bottles are like car petrol gauges. The last quarter is used much faster than the first quarter.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. FC, I took responsibility and sorted the problem. I should have replaced the gas bottle. It was only luck that the fighting did not start.

      Delete
  3. This is why we do hot pot instead of BBQ. All you need is one of those Teflon pot and if we wanted to live dangerously, a non-stick grill plate which operates on electricity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, the trend here now is to plumb an out door barbeque into the main supply, but obviously we can't do that in an apartment. Is your hotpot like an American hotpot?

      Delete
  4. Divided political (of the non-party variety) views influence everything we do, including whether to get a new gas bottle Vs squeeze out the last of the old bottle. And, I find, they always lead to feelings of resentment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Helen, it can be boiled down to that. But I would hate it if we had the same attitudes about everything.

      Delete
  5. I'm sure that beloved R bellowed 'I TOLD YOU SO!' a few times...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, it wasn't mentioned after I returned, but it could have been explosive.

      Delete
  6. Pretty sure this will happen to me shortly, though it will be me arguing with myself! I did weigh my bottle, but want to do the hot water thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, that is what I should have done, but truly, I had no idea it was so low.

      Delete
  7. When I first bought a gas barbie complete with bottle, I didn't realise the bottle came empty and had to be filled. Then when I took it to the servo for filling he offered to swap my lovely clean brand new empty bottle for a full scungy looking old one without a guage. I made him fill the new one, then and every time thereafter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River we sometimes almost forget to take the gauge off, useless thing that it is. We used to get ours filled, but it is so much quicker to swap them. Perhaps we should have another bottle spare.

      Delete
  8. Hahahahaha! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete