Friday, January 25, 2013

T'was Fruit Cake wot dun it

Yes Fruit Cake mentioned something which had me off to You Tube to look for a Zig and Zag clip. Never mind getting home by 6pm on Sunday night to watch the music show Countdown as our Prime Minister Gorton did at that time, in earlier days, faster faster Pop. We want to watch Zig and Zag.

Even as a kid, I realised there was some adult stuff happening between Zig and Zag, not anything rude, but just some adult speech between them even though they were performing for kids. In my memory, they were brilliant. Info is mix of what I remember and what Wikpedia says. How sad that Zig, Jack Perry, was convicted of multiple sexual assaults on his grand daughter. Zag, Doug McKenzie died in 2004. It is not known if Perry is still alive.

Their catch call was 'there will be noooooooooooo trouble', and of course there always was, like the time they dropped a coconut on Melbourne's King Street Bridge and broke the bridge. The bridge did actually break, but it wasn't cause by a dropped coconut, more like deficient engineering.

This is a clip from I guess 1975 when colour television began broadcasting in Australia, also featuring Happy Hammond. As far as I recall, Peters Ice Cream always sponsored the show.



If you would to wallow a little longer in the trough of nostalgia, try this one. Note, famous bearded media resident in our building has also made accusations against the late Roy Lyons.


12 comments:

  1. How sad when things end like this - I cannot hear about Zig and Zag without remembering the paedophile case, and it sort of ruins the smile a recollection might bring. Of course, this is nothing compared to the disappointment Perry's granddaughter has to live with.

    So many children's shows were pathetic, but these two clowns always seemed to be in the middle of what was happening in the real, grown-up world. I liked their show a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, it is sad to have that association. The show did have a slightly adult feel to it, didn't it.

      Delete
  2. I think it might have been partly a boy thing. My youngest brother was so besotted with Zig and Zag that his social life was planned around it. No taping back then and no TIVO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly was a boy thing Hels. I did not have any girls around me when I was growing up, so I can't compare. Boys may have liked the phrase, there'll be no trouble, and there always was.

      Delete
  3. Comedic Anarchy has great appeal - 3 Stooges, Johnson Bros, Marx Bros, Laurel & Hardy, etc.
    anybody living in South Melbourne might spot a historic look at their own house during those out-on-the-streets scenes where they screamed around in the fire truck.
    McKenzie was the manager of HSV7 I think.

    The repetitive phrase I recall was "ooh Z*g you are a silly" (cannot recall the accuser though)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I liked the 3 Stooges especially. I used to like Homicide and Division 4 for local street spotting.

      Delete
  4. Hi Andrew

    Dare I mention Captain Pugwash and his shipmates Seaman Stains and Master Bates?

    xxx

    (Clean) Pants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pants, are you pulling my leg? I will check.

      Delete
  5. All kinda sad, wasn't it? Seems quite a few performers get flushed out of the woodwork eventually, and you feel so cheated. We used to love them, and Happy Hammond seemed such a nice man, and an innocent one. Of course we loved 'Hey Dad' too.... Ewwww!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bliss, not quite to the level of churches, but the entertainment industry seems to be quite rife with such undesirables.

      Delete
  6. The first video you display - a rare gem btw - was from HSV7's very early colour trials in the late 1960s. Apparently the trial was only via closed circuit television on display at the Royal Melbourne Show.

    At that stage the industry had hoped to go to full colour by 1972, but it didn't happen until 1975.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, I am surprised it is that old. I remember seeing a closed circuit colour tv at Melbourne's Exhibition Buildings in the early seventies. I was not impressed.

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.