Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Tea for Two

 I was looking at Fortnum and Mason website for something. What did I want? Ah yes, I wanted to find out what is Piccalilli. R had a vague idea but I didn't have a clue. I found out what is was, and while my buy on the internet fingers were itchy,  we have enough of that sort of stuff in the Highrise refrigerator and pantry.

What is this? Edible critters for sale at Fortnum and Masons. Extraordinary! No, not buying deep fried crickets or worm crisps.
 
For some reason tea sprang to mind. I cannot forget the perfect cup of tea we drank at a tea plantation in the Cameron Highlands, Malaysia. Where was that place? Google, maps and the internet were not helpful, so I texted our Malaysian friend Manny. Right, thanks Manny. Got it now. I am mentally prepared to buy some high quality tea over the internet.

Even though we may drink tea maybe only once a month, I was becoming very focused on buying some high quality tea.

Then Fun60 inadvertently stepped up to the crease with some information about Harrods. As I read it, Harrods beginnings were as a tea shop. The store has a fine tea department.

Now I am not sure if I should buy tea from the Cameron Highlands or from Harrods in London. 

And I shall slap your face if you tell me I need to get a life. This is my life, and don't forget how I may be helping Broken Britain or the tea pickers in the Cameron Highlands.






19 comments:

  1. Hello Andrew:
    Do, dear Andrew, make your tea purchases from the tea pickers in Malaysia. Harrods is no more today than an oversized tourist trap. To be avoided like the plague!

    Caveat: these are only our opinions and not founded on fact!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So JayLa, you would not be seen gauchely carrying a Harrods shopping bag in the street.

      Delete
  2. We sell Piccalili in Coles, in our very small British section along with Bramston pickles and sauces, marmalades and stuff.
    Check out your local Coles first, then you won't have to pay shipping fees.
    I think you should buy your tea direct from the growers, it will be fresher and like Jane and Lance said, Harrods is an overpriced tourist trap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I am not sure that we have British sections in our Coles. Kosher, Asian and Indian certainly. I must check.

      Delete
  3. I looked up Piccalili. No thanks, not to my taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it sounded ok Victor. We are quite used to Indian foods and spices and it sounds very much based on an Indian sauce.

      Delete
  4. Buy one from each and then have fun doing a taste test to compare the two...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, you think I have money to waste?

      Delete
  5. Have ya tried Nerada Tea grown in Queensland in the hills of The Atherton Tablelands its pesticide free and is the best in the world in my books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have heard of it Windsmoke. It sounds worth trying.

      Delete
  6. There is only one place for tea and that's taken at The Ritz in Piccadilly! It was an expensive treat but I loved every minute of it. I am very much a tea drinker but these days I stick to typhoo decaf tea bags. What an admission!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Fun60. That is where I should be, at The Ritz. Tea is always best when someone else makes it. I had to look up typhoo. If others do not know, it is a brand with quite a history.

      Delete
  7. So what are you really saying, Andrew? Tired of jiggling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned FC, I would only average a jiggle once a month.

      Delete
  8. Tea for two at the Ritz, my doesn't that sound grand!! Je prefer a cup of Earl Grey in my fav cup reading your blog Andrew!!! Happy googling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I am very susceptible to flattery. Use it judiciously. I thought you may be a bit more French with your choice of a hot drink. One of my favourite Paris moments was drinking cafe noir at a Parisian street cafe, until I arrived home and worked out how much we paid.

      Delete
    2. Oh believe me Andrew I did a lot of Parisian cafe coffee drinking when in Paris..and if I'm in a French cafe here, but at home..what can I say it's the 'Anglo English' in me!

      Delete
  9. I've been craving terry's chocolate oranges of late. You can have your piccalilli though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to google them Fen. Not sure that I would like them. Never that keen on Jaffas.

      Delete