Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sitting on Albert

We are travelling down to the Bellarine at the weekend. Little Jo has expressed an interest in the book The Magic Pudding. I feel at five, she is still a bit young to have it read to her, but she will like the pictures. I first read it when I was eight. She is not sure of the names of the characters and I have forgotten some. I dug my copy out to take with me and show Little Jo.


At the top are pudding thieves, a possum and a wombat. Below is Sam Sawnoff, Barnacle Bill, Albert the pudding and Bunyip Bluegum. This frontispiece has the same illustrations by Norman Lindsay as the original edition. My copy was published in 1965 and the first in 1918.

6 comments:

  1. I never read The Magic Pudding when I was young, but in later years I'd heard that it was a great kid's book. So I bought it for my kids along with The Wind In The Willows and a couple of others. Many years later, I gave away the almost new books to a secondhand store. My kids hadn't liked them any more than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. River, they are great books with fabulous illustrations and both are brilliantly written, so the culture fiends tell us. I preferred Noddy and Biggles books, and Famous Five.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember liking the illustrations but not the actual story....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, the title of the post refers to one of the characters sitting on Albert the pudding to prevent him being stolen by the pudding thieves. Do you recall the pudding always replenished itself.

      Delete
  4. The Noddy series was fab, My two loved them and I have the whole collection safely stored for their kids...if ever they have them..Wind in the Willows is total magic a HUGE favourite with both. Enid Blyton was my hero, loved everything she wrote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Noddy but even more, Famous Five. Wind in the Willows was not in my childhood, so I read it later and loved that too. Enid writing was magical to me.

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.