Monday, January 07, 2013

Personal Bits

While five year old Little Jo has a Myki card for public transport, she has never used it herself. Today she did, three times on trams. "Little Jo, just hold it to that area below the screen". She did and it worked quickly every time. Why do adults have such problems with touching on? "Do we need to touch off with our cards?", a tourist enquired of us. No, and there was no need to confuse them by telling them that they need to in Zone 2. It is very unlikely tourists will venture to Zone 2 by tram. Instead of her Myki card being left at the Highrise, it will go back to the Bellarine with her this time, as Sister has been using Geelong buses at times.

The water stream at the Botanic Garden's Children's Garden was closed for maintenance. How many disappointed children there must have been, including Little Jo. Really bad form on the part of RBGV. It should be a priority for repair if something is wrong. However, the gardens overall are looking fantastic and we plan to visit more often.

Atop a hill under a gum tree and with a view of the city skyline we ate our snacks, a cherry tomato each, a shared packet of crisps and a sweet biscuit each, washed down with water. Little Jo was being very good, so the reward was an icecream, chocolate for her and rum and raisin for us.

Non Dreaded Nephew set off in a DSE convoy yesterday from his Gippsland town to fight fires at Portland. His father, Tradie Brother was visiting his ex, ex Sis in Law and so proudly watched his son depart. Speaking of fires, I am quite distressed at the news from Tasmania. There has been a terrible loss of property, wildlife no doubt and although not confirmed, perhaps quite a number of lives. The always on the ball and alert Liz, sent a message of sympathy to her Australian subjects. How kind. In modern parlance, is that akin to a Like on Facebook?

ABI Brother has been off on an over 40s South Pacific cruise. He is due back tomorrow. Mother will be relieved her daily shopper is returning. She called R in a distressed state on Friday night when I was at work. R takes her very seriously and ended up being distressed himself. I called her Saturday morning and she was fine. Last Wednesday I started ABI Brother's car at his request and it was fine. Amazingly a week of it not being driven did not affect its ability to start! However, on Friday Tradie Brother went to start it, and it would not fire. The car must be about three years old, so I would guess the battery. Sister is collecting Mother on Tuesday to take her for a break to the Bellarine. Mother is not sure if she can do it, but it seems like she will. (Too  hot. Who will feed the cats? Who will water the garden? Daughter gets cross if I use the toilet at night. I am not well enough.) Sister's air con has been repaired and all Mother has to do is convince them that it needs to be switched on.

Little Jo is in the bath and is dreading what is about to happen. Curly haired kids hate having their hair washed. She has give the floating duck a good scrub and told the Robo Fish to get away when it went between her legs. Oh, shrieks, soap in the eyes. I better go.


13 comments:

  1. You sound the perfect family man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, would that be when I won't answer the phone when I see it is family, or the pleasure I feel when Little Jo leaves. Just kidding, kind of. I am a firm believer in living my life through what other people do, with minimum effort from me.

      Delete
  2. Long drive to Portland from Gippsland but we must admire the firey brotherhood. When the CFA Alerts website is working, and we read the list of 'Incidents', it has the number of attending trucks. Sometimes it is 53 or 47. Then the CWA ladies all make sandwiches and coffee for them. Everybody 'paying it forward' for when they need help themselves. I fret for the poor bush animals and refuse to view TV news.
    Unbelievable that a crazy woman started a roadside fire in Ashwood last week. Clearly should be institutionalised.

    Clever Jo with her own Ticket To Freedom for when she runs away.
    Sneaky Myki claiming the cards 'expire' after 3 years. Big CON to get everybody renewing at a COST = to the initial 'membership' cost that was over and above the fares amount loaded. A surge of cash in March for a rotten system that should never have happened.
    If the logistics of mother going to the Bellarine are difficult, then how is it a break? Good luck with the whole damn thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, many of our animals are well adapted to fire and flee or bunker down. It is only when it is really bad that they are caught.

      I can't wait to tell Sister about Little Jo's running away from home Myki card.

      What is the American word? Hornory, or something like that? That is what Mother is doing. She will be fine. She will be ill and Bone Doctor will organise for her to see a doctor where she works. The doctor will tell Mother she is not about to die and blood pressure variations are common. All good and not my problem.

      PS Bone Doctor lacks empathy and has no tolerance for Mother's shenanigans, but Sister manages the friction reasonably well, like I do with R. She is my mother! What can I do?

      Delete
  3. I think the word you're looking for is Ornery. Why would someone not turn on the airconditioning to keep their elderly mother cool in this dreadful heat?
    I'm sure mother will be fine and everyone will have a nice holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I expect they will turn the air con on. They just seem to not feel the heat much. The weather is not so bad here this week.

      Delete
  4. I think I'll have to take a few diet tips from you Andrew, no one is getting fat on your Botanical Garden lunch, not a French pastry to be seen !! I guess in a way we sometimes don't understand how older folk get very set in their routines and it can get distressing when they're upset. One day I may be like that, blimey I hope its not too soon, so much to squeeze in yet! I enjoyed your 'personal' bits haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it was only a mid arvo snack and it passed a bit of time since we weren't going to be entertained by the running water.

      Delete
  5. P.s. I took the pic of the Meerkat a while back in winter, thought it was so cute the way it looked at me as if to say 'WHAT' !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andrew

    The plight of poor Li'l Jo and the MYKI filled me with nostalgia for London, where children under 16 travel for free.

    The last time I used my MYKI card on a tram (4 December last year), I had to ask a fellow commuter if I should 'tap out'. Unfortunately, this was problematic as the person I asked said 'yes', because she is a nutter. The reason I 'know' she is a nutter is that the person who contradicted her advice told me within her earshot that she 'has mental health issues'. That indiscretion unleashed hell.

    Confined space, me in the middle with lots of holiday baggage, not brilliant. There was a bit of screaming and threatening and then my stop miraculously appeared. I thanked both of them for their, er, helpful advice and alighted gratefully intact.

    xxx

    Pants

    Pants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pants, that such a simple enquiry ended up being an 'event' is rather amusing. I wasn't aware about the under 16 in London. What with old people and their bus passes, it is a wonder there was enough money in the town to pay your wages.

      Delete
  7. Has there been some kind of scientific study about that....curly hairs disliking hair washing more than straight-haired kids?

    If not, I think someone should do one.

    It might be a waste of grant money; but it would be fascinating.

    Is the children's garden more for younger kids? Or do older kids seem to enjoy it as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dina, I think grants have been given to study much more trivial things than that.

      Yes, probably the gradens are for under ten. Without the water course, there is not a lot there.

      Delete