Sunday, January 27, 2013

Lunch on one's own

Ok, it was on our own. We lunched beachside and  delightful lunch it was.

A friend of R's lived in this apartment block. We visited once. Above Ingrid's place lived the celeb Mary Hardy, who later shot herself in her bath. Bless Mary. She was the comedian sister of Frank Hardy, who wrote Power Without Glory, which should be compulsory reading for all Melburnians.


Generally, I don't think much of modern architecture, but doesn't this example look ok? I would not mind living there, not that I could afford it. The streetscape is preserved, without some glaring wart. Across the road is the beach.



General beach photo, taken as we discussed whether we were in Albert Park or Middle Park. The person or thing that you are taking a photo of never sees anything, but there is always someone who is watching your extending lens. The Newport gas fired power station smoke stack is dominant. It is more or less an emergency electricity generator. It is not really a smoke stack, more a gas burn off stack. The top of it expels and burns gas, so it is alight with flame when the power station is operating.

9 comments:

  1. I agree that block does look like a cool place to live especially if you have that beach scene thrown in. Hope you enjoyed Australia Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did rather enjoy the day Fun60.

      Delete
  2. When we lived overseas, it always had to be in a cheap hospital flat. So I had no choice.

    Back in Melbourne, we had to live near the boys' school, friends and sports centres. So I had no choice.

    Finally I would love to make a choice about where to live and in which type of house. Where will it be? Definitely RIGHT on the beach road as in your post, somewhere from Port Melbourne via South Melbourne, Albert Park, StKilda..all the way to Elwood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, house or apartment, don't go south of Luna Park where there isn't decent public transport. You never know, maybe when you are old, conductors will be back and be able to haul you up onto the tram so that you can get to the State Library.

      Delete
  3. "...doesn't this example look okay?"
    NO
    I much prefer the white arched balconies to the left of the photo.
    I'd love to live that close to a beach again.
    Summers don't seem so hot when there is a huge body of water just five minutes away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, normally I would agree but not when sea views are involved. I would like the big modern glass windows, not the small Victorian ones.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I agree, you do feel cooler near the sea.

      Delete
  4. I like the look of the smaller block too Andrew.. I would find it hard now to live anywhere more than five minutes from the sea. You're right about the 'long lens' thing, funnily enough I've never had any problems, but have witnessed more than once men getting queried as to what they're doing. Seems men are more suspicious, bit sexist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, while I don't like salt water swimming or sand for lying on, I like too like to be close to the sea. We really are coastal dwellers. Some people, well men, seem to be very aggressive behind the lens. I always try to be discreet and incidental. So far, so good.

      Delete