The lilies we had over christmas were glorious. They were in bud and opened very well and at $6, a bargain.
Over the years I must have planted hundreds of petunias in our various gardens, always with success. However, I had never tried growing them from seedlings here until recently. I bought a punnet and a bag of good quality potting mix and potted them up.
The first thing that concerned me was that the potting mix felt very heavy and not free draining. I proceeded and planted eight seedlings in a pot. Over the next week or so, they started to grow and I removed a couple of the smallest ones so as not to have the pot too crowded. I nipped off the flowers so that they would put energy into growth in their early stage. They reached a size where I started to let them flower and then came the wind, a cold blustering wind, straight in from Bass Strait. It really knocked them. Slowly slowly they died. I removed them until I was left with two, but they were barely growing and moving at their base in the wind.
So, we went out and bought a pot of already grown ones, which we should have done in the first place. The balcony is a harsh environment, boiling hot sun until lunch time and often strong and cold southerly winds, but these already well established petunias just love it.