Saturday, January 05, 2013

Down Below

Always something going on down below. First crash of the New Year was New Year's morning, at about 4.30am. Just home from work, I had the balcony door open, and so heard the screech and contact.

 I do love a smart sombrero.

 Is it appropriate for a monster like this to use our street? Note the car waiting to turn right and blocking the truck. Will the driver abort the turn and allow the truck to proceed?

 The car did abort the turn and proceeded straight ahead. Pity cars won't do that for buses.

 What is wrong here? Well, the car at the top of the photo is facing the wrong way in a one way street. Although stopped at lines, the lack of any facing traffic light might give the driver a clue that something is not quite right.

The other car is waiting to turn right, in precisely the wrong place to bring up a turn arrow. It needs to be stopped at the stop line to activate the turn arrow. Fancy that, stopping at a stop line. What an extraordinary thing to have to do.

The car in the intersection gave up their right turn and went straight ahead. After a set of traffic lights, with opposing motor cars dodging around the car in the one way road, the driver gave up, turned left and then made an illegal u turn to get to the required road. Note, the red car is sitting exactly in the correct position to activate the turn arrow.

17 comments:

  1. I am fascinated by your photos of the traffic below your high rise. I seem to remember something about right turns in Melbourne being different from doing a right turn at home. I didn't drive whilst I was there so you can't blame me for any accidents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, they are quite different to anything, perhaps around the world. They are mostly within the city proper, with only a few in South Melbourne.

      Delete
  2. I reckon some people still get their licences from the bottom of a Weeties packet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my opinion Windsmoke and it has become much worse.

      Delete
  3. You could agree to provide photographic evidence to the State Accident Board, in return for a fair, professional fee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, or at least rush down and show the victim photos, and then they can sue.

      Delete
  4. Hels might be onto something, Andrew. Photos accompanied by your situation analyses, of course.

    What's that thing on top of the tram near the front door?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a route display box and the white thing that looks like a cat carrying cage is driver air con.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Andrew. Occasionally I stand on a chair and am astonished at the way the world must look to people about 5'6".

      Your highrise photos also provide a whole new perspective on the world. :)

      Delete
  5. I find it difficult driving in Melbourne through those intersections where you have to turn right from the extreme left lane. We don't have that system in NSW.

    You've also mentioned previously this system of activating a right turn arrow by where you stop your car. That's another thing we don't have in NSW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rarely drive within the city proper Victor, so I don't make such turns, but I have in the past.

    Once out of the inner area of Sydney almost every right turn lane will need to have a car present to activate the arrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping at the line does not activate the turn arrow. They are on timers just like the rest of the lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far as Melbourne goes River, only the traffic lights within the centre of the city are on timers, with timing variable depending on the time of day. The rest are all computerised and linked back to Vic Roads headquarters. While they can be manually controlled from there, normally the sequences are automatically adjusted depending on traffic flow which, is detected by wire loops embedded in the roadway. Have a look at the road at some traffic lights and you can see the loops in the road, usually a cut square or rectangles with one line leading back to small pit with a cover. While you can't actually see the loops, you can see where the road has been cut and then refilled with bitumen. I would imagine it would be much the same for any city.

      Delete
  8. You see this is why I hate driving in the city..I will do it if I have to, I did once find myself in a similar situation of facing oncoming traffic ooops! I can still remember some of the expressions haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I hope you weren't self righteous and indicated to them that they were all going the wrong way.

      Delete
  9. Sweet cheebus the mind boggles as to how these people can drive as such and not kill people. Honestly how hard is it. Every day I see ridiculous behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, my theory is that in our heavily congested traffic, no one can get up enough speed to kill anyone. That is why the road toll keeps dropping.

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.