Sunday, January 20, 2013

Arthur, of Sebastopol

There are regular writers of letters to newspapers. I only know of The Age ones, and not really recent letter writers. The first I recall was the unusually named Charlotte Hartwigg of St Kilda. After reading her letters to the papers for years, a letter was published that she had died.

Next was Constance E. Little of Swan Reach, later of Eagle Point. She too died and received some publicity due to her frequently published letters.

Another who comes to mind is Brenda Linane, formerly of Moonee Ponds, now of Altona. Social climber or what. Lord Sedgwick, oh dead blog, most unkindly referred to her as Brenda Inane. I was always inclined to agree with her opinions.

Now we get to Arthur Comer, earlier of Frankston, later of  Sebastopol.  I had a firm mental image of the pedantic, religious, right winger, and I was partly correct. What I did not think into the mix was that he is extremely clever and very quick witted.

After my little rant about the swearing in the podcast I Love Green Guide Letters things have improved greatly and the show is all the better for it.

Steele and a couple of his mates from ILGGL decided to visit Ballarat, near Sebastopol to meet up with the prolific letter writer Arthur Comer. They hired a minibus to get there and after recording the podcast, adjourned to Australia's last remaining 'all you can eat' Pizza Hut.

I thought they may have really sunk the boot into the eighty year old Arthur, using all the tactics that they would use as stand up comedians use for hecklers, but no. While I can't say they treated him reverentially, they treated him with respect. No that it mattered much. Arthur could hold his own with them anyway as they reviewed many of his letters to the Green Guide. It turned out that his letter critical of Channel Ten news reader Helen Kapalos did not lead to her being sacked the following day. Pure co-incidence. It also seems Arthur is turning in a prolific emailer.

It was a good laugh and I can recommend ILGGL. I just wish I had more time to listen to some other local comedian podcasts.

PS, I have subsequently listened to two more ILGGL podcasts, one featuring gay comedian Adam Richard and the other, Derryn Hinch.  Funny and illuminating. I am slightly wet in anticipation at hearing Wil Anderson on the show. Whatever happened to Boys for Noise? I used to enjoy their podcasts. They were at the forefront before all these other comedians got on board.

These podcasts are not money making enterprises. No one gets paid. They could be called self promotion for comedians, but no matter, there are heaps of them and all for free.


8 comments:

  1. Should I have a listen or are the podcasts too Melbourne-centric for we mere mortal Sydneysiders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some possibly are Victor, but I think you might enjoy the Arthur one. If it is not explained in the podcast, there was controversy over the removal of the staples in The Age Green Guide.

      Delete
  2. I saw Constance E. Little of Swan Reach's letters soooo often, I thought she was family. Even though regular correspondents like Constance were often a bit silly in their ideas, they deserved some respect for their persistence and energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I had a strong mental image of her, which was probably way off the mark. I wonder if newspapers will be around when we are old and get our pens to work, righting the world, one letter at a time.

      Delete
  3. Yes Will Anderson will no doubt be entertaining, I saw him when he came to Perth and he was hilarious...I wish I could be bothered to write letter about things that bother me..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, he is such a talent, isn't he.

      Delete
  4. Slightly wet? Ew, do mop yourself darling, you'll make a puddle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I tell myself he would be a boring....

      Delete