Friday, January 18, 2013

A tear in the eye

I am finding the older I get, the more emotional I get about unimportant things. Soppy, you might call it. News that my mother had expired overnight would have me stoic, strong and organising. At some point down the track, I would drink too much one night and end up a blubbering wreck about the demise of my mother and that would be a cleansing experience for me. If you are doubtful about this, I have form. The next day, while hungover, I would be at peace.

I teared up three times last Friday. Once was when I read this in the morning.

In the evening we went to see Jersey Boys, compliments of Sister and Bone Doctor. The tickets were priced at $145 each, and for that, we were in the grand circle, which sounds grand, but it was not. It was the very back and the very top of the Dress Circle. We were so far away and some of the screen visuals were cut off from our view. There were so many stairs to climb to get to the level. I noticed at intermission a staff member standing at the direct descending stairs so we were steered past the bar to get to the ground. There was no space to get to your seat without everyone in the row standing up. The only positive thing was the seats in the Grand Circle were better than those in the Stalls, which we found terribly uncomfortable when we went to see South Pacific. It is something like 25 years since the Princess Theatre was renovated. It may be time to do it again.

The show started slowly and I found myself closing my eyes and my head drooping. I started to enjoy it a bit towards the end of the first half. The second half was brilliant and when the song Can't Take My Eyes Off You, was sung, with a wonderful orchestra and band accompaniment, well, I teared up. Not from sadness perhaps, but from the beauty of the performance. The applause was deafening.

I would never pay such money to see a show, but I am not sorry I saw it. Thanks girls.

I had to get up for work in the morning the next day but once home, I did not feel sleepy. I did not know Frankie Valli was the original performer of Can't Take My Eyes Off You. I went to bed and played with my phone to see who else recorded it. I came across a video that again had me with tears in my eyes. Stupid sentimental old queen. Bah. If you are wondering if you should bother watching it, nearly 2.9 million viewers have. It is a marriage proposal to end all marriage proposals.




13 comments:

  1. There is a video on You Tube of (I think the names are - Tom Fletcher of the band McFly, I'd never heard of either) where Tom(?) sings his speech to guests at his wedding reception. It brings moisture to the eyes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I've heard of McFly, no more than that. I will take a look.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Andrew ..... I'm kinda glad I made you cry. I haven't seen a live musical in a while, but Les Mis had me sniffling throughout and the Tram and Nam proposal also misted me up.

    It all started when Storm Boy found out that Mr Percival had been killed.... *sob*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, all I can say is 'Lassie Comes Home'.

      Delete
  3. I got quite teary myself reading your post today. When my brother died in March I seemed to cry at the slightest thing. We hadn't been close for about 35 years. Mainly because of the way he behaved (he was an alcoholic) when my father died. But over the last 5 years we started to see a lot more of one another. I could see how much he regretted his past and how he wanted to make up for it. We began a new much closer relationship and one month before he died he came to stay with me in London. The first time for over 2 decades. We had a great time together. It was as if he knew he didn't have long left in this world. I have no regrets and am grateful we had those last few years together. But here's the strange part, when I'm feeling low I play the soundtrack of 'The Jersey Boys' because I just love it. Have seen it twice and am itching to see it again. Best seat was the front row (very cheap because it's a restricted view). Who needs to see what's going on at the back of the stage as long as I can hear those boys sing. Sorry for wittering on but you got me blubbing again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, I am pleased to hear you connected with your brother before it was too late. While some negative aspects of our characters worsen with age, some improve too.

      I agree, front row is nearly always best, unless it is Dame Edna and you are in danger of being hauled up on the stage.

      Delete
  4. I'm a lot more teary now than I used to be, I hadn't connected it with aging, but I suppose that's true too. I know a lot of people my age who get emotional and cry easily over little things, sentimental things. I saw it mostly as a relaxing, a release from tension, now that I'd separated from the hubby.
    I have seen a few shows in the past and always bought dress circle tickets, (I was working full time then), but made sure to get the front row so I could see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is an interesting thing. I think we do get more weepy when we get older, and often enjoy our tears. I am only guessing between the lines, but I expect you were very brave when you struck out on your own, and it has not ended up badly, hey.

      Delete
  5. I still have crusty eyes from tearing up at my friends wedding video about half an hour ago. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooky too Fen. I like sooky people who cry at little things but function when the going gets hard.

      Delete
  6. Noooooo! Lassie comes Home, that was a real weepy I remember watching it with my sister both sobbing..Loved the video, didn't make me tear up though Andrew, on the other hand went to see The Quartet last night (stellar cast, brilliant movie) and I did tear up once or twice!
    Can't wait to see Jersey Boys when it comes to Perth, that's if I ever remember to book..it's probably sold out already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, Jersey Boys is doing very well here, during its return season. I am not sure about The Quartet. R is not pushing to see it, so maybe we will watch on dvd.

      Delete
    2. You should try and persuade him Andrew, good to see it on the big screen. Billy Connolly and Pauline Collins are brilliant! The difference between English and American films is obvious from the opening scene to the closing scene!

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.