Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A Mother Day

Pick up keys for ABI Brother's place from Mother, work on his computer. Transport Mother to lunch and Big W, then doctors. I go back to her place to empty vacuum cleaner, replace aircon remote batteries that don't need replacing but just in case, sweep up leaves, check water meter is not turning over when no water is being used. Doctor reception calls, pick up your mother.

Post Office to pay a couple of bills. Mother, how wonderful, you have budgeted and can pay your bills. No, $100 off the electric. Water bill from South Eastern Water reduced from $450 to $200 because of leaking pipe water leakage. I like South Eastern Water. Paid.

Priceline then Woolworths then pathology place for blood tests. In the interim, had some nice mother/son chat.

Back to ABI Brother's. Download driver for his printer as he has lost the cd. Update gazillions of things. Get rid of security certificate issues by adjusting clock from 2011 to 2013. Google was my friend. Connect bought sound cable so that his computer can make noise. Open sealed T Hub package and puzzle. Set up cordless phone part of it. Seems like an Ipad like device came with it. Well, when I have a whole day free sometime, maybe I will set that up. I don't see that happening.

ABI stands for Acquired Brain Injury, which my brother has. I have tried to explain over the phone that he does not have, because I have no intention of setting it up, Outlook Express, but a Gmail account. I walk him through it. All good. I think he gets it now. I wonder if he will reply to my just sent email that he should not be spending lots of time, now that he has good internet, on xtube. He seemed quite happy with being able to hear songs with You Tube. I have looked at all his paperwork for his internet and it is too hard to understand. He gets free phone calls, the T Hub, I think 500gb download limit and ADSL2 connection, which seems nearly as fast as our cable connection. While I followed the directions explicitly for his internet connection a few weeks ago, a Telstra technician called, without charge, and moved the in line filter from between the phone plug and his computer to the kitchen wall phone, and then his phone and internet worked at the same time. 

Some really good things came from the day. I bought a new dishwashing brush at Woolworths, but best of all, I pocketed Mother's unspent batteries from her air con remote control for our own future use.

11 comments:

  1. I know you really meant to say ..but best of all, the mother son time together.. deep down I think it's possible you may be a bit a softie (meant in the nicest way!) at heart Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, possibly softer than I seem to be here at times.

      Delete
  2. Your are a jack of all trades but a master of none.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could not have put it better myself Windsmoke.

      Delete
  3. As the two Ronnies would have said...'a packed day'.

    As Anthony Mundine might say....'you done well'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall either quote Victor, but I like Mundine's.

      Delete
  4. So much done in one day!
    I used to have days like that, rushing here and there...now it's work and couch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I have learnt how to pace myself.

      Delete
  5. xtube? never heard of it!

    ReplyDelete