Wednesday, January 23, 2013

606 Port Melbourne

I caught the 606 bus from Port Melbourne to St Kilda a while ago. Some time later I was at a bus stop waiting for the 232 bus back to the city from the large hardware store in Port Melbourne. The stop was almost enveloped by plane tree foliage, so I was kind of standing out on the road, making sure I could see the approaching bus, one eye on my phone screen and the other on the road.

A bus approached and it was a 606. I did not know they came along here. The driver half pulled in to see if I wanted the bus, in spite of me having stepped well back. Funny, there is nothing on the bus stop sign that indicates this is a stop for the 606.

I find the stylised map for bus routes pretty useless and the Public Transport Victoria map for the 606, and even the 232, pretty awful. Although the electric Melways can be helpful with bus routes, in the Melways the 606 was marked as a peak hour bus only, when it now is not.

After much study, I conclude that the bus stop at the corner of Farrell Street and Williamstown Road where I was waiting for the 232 bus, is also a stop for the 606 bus, which then swings into Bridge Street. So why does the bus stop sign not say that?

6 comments:

  1. Perhaps it is a temporary stop because of something happening further back along the route. We have temporary stops all over the place now that the roadblocks etc are being set up for the Clipsal race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know River. Clpsal Race. How exciting. Would you care to take back the Grand Prix?

      Delete
  2. Because that would take the challenge out of it Andrew. Public Transport & co have got to get their fun somehow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Grace, they don't want us becoming too confident.

      Delete
  3. "The driver half pulled in to see if I wanted the bus, in spite of me having stepped well back" - how very helpful of the driver.

    Meanwhile in the 'Rat I get a lecture on not actually 'hailing' the bus, despite being the only human in sight, and standing next to the pole sign he said "in Melbourne they don't stop unless you hail"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally they do Ann. Where you really have to hail is Sydney, but then you would remember that too.

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.