Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Twenty five, twelve, twenty twelve

Frosty has appeared at christmas for nigh on three decades. He has witnessed rather a lot of ageing, hatches, matches and despatches along with much joy and laughter. Frosty just goes on year after year, watching with silent approval.

 Is Melbourne ever going to put on a light displays like Sydney does?

 This is not a bad start.

 But it does really cost. Apparently computer programmers don't come cheaply.

Diane once asked for photos of Melbourne Town Hall and this is not perhaps how she imagined I would respond, but it is our town hall.

If you ever get the chance, you can take a free tour of our town hall and having done it twice, I recommend the tour.

This year's City Square christmas tree is more modest than a rather awful bigger and more solid tree that cost so much to erect and looked pretty ordinary.

Hindu, Buddhist and Muslim workmates never complain but a Jewish neighbour recently complained to me how tired she was of being wished merry christmas. Yet another Jewish workmate was telling me about the christmas presents he had bought for his grandchildren. Our Hindu friend celebrates christmas, though of course not the religious aspect. Go figure. Did I hear that Sydney's Lakemba Mosque issued instructions to followers to not wish merry christmas to christians? I'll remember that next eid.

This is secular Australia and my blog is all encompassing, and so to some, Merry Christmas to you and to others, Compliments of the Season. Regardless, pour yourself a glass and put your feet up.

25 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas and of course more wine and drinks for a festive new year as well till it all finally ends on Aussie day next year.

    Warm regards
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael, best wishes.

      Delete
  2. Both the town hall and the christmas tree look very, very ordinary indeed. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Windsmoke. Best wishes to you too.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the link to my site but I think you might have the wrong Diane. I don't remember asking to see the Melbourne Town Hall. Was it Dianne from Adelaide.? The light show looks pretty good to me. Merry Christmas to you and R. I got a book on how to use my iPad, for Christmas. So here's hoping I can post this comment from my iPad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. You had me wondering but it was this post.
      http://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/town-hall-tour.html

      Delete
  4. The baby Jesus was born in April in the hottest desert in the northern hemisphere. Frosty should throw off the snow, get into bathers and look weather-appropriate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, my Mother did not slave over a hot stove at christmas making christmas dinner for years for me to forget how ridiculous our English style celebration is.

      Delete
  5. Have a good Xmas celebration. Sounds a bit double standardish coming from a heathen, but you know what I mean. Enjoy the day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LS, nothing wrong with one heather wishing another heathen a merry christmas.

      Delete
  6. I must say Andrew, I and mine have poured ourselves a few too many and all have our feet up as we tap away on our computers, and the kids their phones, wishing our favorite people a very merry day tomorrow and peace for the new year.

    May the spirit be with you and R and all the rest of your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rubye. What a modern family you have.

      Delete
  7. I love your little snowman! The Town Hall looks impressive with the lights display. Probably Adelaide City did something too, but I didn't go to town so I can't be sure. The tree in Victoria Square would have been lit up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the first year for our town hall River, and very popular.

      Delete
  8. Drove past the sikh temple in Craigieburn a little while ago, and outside was a sign wishing everyone a happy christmas and a prosperous new year. Mostly I just tell people to enjoy their holidays and keep safe, but I appreciated this gesture.

    Keep happy and safe everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, I find sikhs most agreeable and often quite handsome. I wonder if it true that they are all named Singh.

      Delete
  9. And a belated Merry Christmas, ummm Boxing Day, to you, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victor, and returned to you.

      Delete
  10. I think the town hall lights are great! They did a similar thing for Hirosaki castle to celebrate its 400th anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wombat, I will hunt out some photos online. I am rather fond of the castle.

      Delete
  11. When in Rome...its Christmas and I will have a drink soon as I have a drop of Drambuie to savour...When i was at Tafe this year one lady there was unable to sit with us and eat because it was Ramadan - she was lovely if very hungry at times - there were women from India, Tonga, England all sorts...and Russia - and all wished her well at the end of the fasting - maybe we didn't know the right words but it was a happy thing because she was happy - why so hard to honour all happy festivals and celebrations...just to be nice to each other... how hard is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well T, I consider all Moslems evil, except the ones I know. Must have been a bit of an education for you.

      I bought R a bottle of our fondly remembered Drambuie earlier this year. It would have been better left in the memory. Dare I try Glayva and see if that is as nice as I recall. I have lost my sweet tooth.

      Delete
  12. I thinks the town hall looks good. I like coloured lights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so Fen. Waiting to hear about your christmas.

      Delete
    2. I'm in holiday mode, can't be arsed with blogging right now. There were plenty of pics on my FB however.

      Delete