Saturday, December 29, 2012

This is 702 ABC Sydney broadcasting to Melbourne

"The switching nightmare goes on. 774 digital broadcasting 702. Andrew."

After twenty minutes of listening to ABC Sydney on ABC Melbourne digital, and checking that AM was broadcasting ABC Melbourne, I thought enough is enough and I sent the above text to ABC Melbourne. Fifteen seconds later the big scissor switch was pulled down and locked into place and once again ABC Melbourne was coming through the speakers.

I thought whoever is responsible might have done better this year with all the switching to and from national local to local local that our ABC does at this time of the year, but I think it has been worse than ever.

I recall the late Kerry Packer calling into his own tv station, Channel 9, and telling them 'to get that shit off the air', referring to a comedy programme and it was pulled straight away. At least he was watching his own tv station. Doesn't ABC radio management listen to their own station on digital radio? It took me to alert them of the wrong station being broadcast.

Now, if you are interested, I can give you the today's weather forecast for all major New South Wales towns? No? How about this morning's traffic conditions around Sydney?

12 comments:

  1. Its hard to get good help when the silly season is in full swing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Windsmoke, I think there may well be a shortage of experienced people around at this time of the year.

      Delete
  2. How about the weather in Norman, Oklahoma, USA?
    They could certainly do better than our locals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bloody freezing in Norman Rubye, but high humidity and clear skies.

      Delete
  3. Ha! just as well you're on the ball Andrew .... maybe you should be on the pay-roll as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianne, I would have thought there was someone on the payroll to get such things right, or listen and check if such things are right.

      Delete
  4. Well at least someone is listening to ABC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should hope so Fun60. We pay enough for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No comment from James yet but then he is spending Christmas in Lismore.

    Funnily enough I see nothing awry in hearing 702. I suppose that doesn't surprise you.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I think you have inadvertently hit the nail on the head. Experienced people are missing. Apart from the weather and accident reports, 702 was quite boring. I like female voices on Saturday morning.

      Delete
  7. Oh god I heard that too, I was so confused as to who the bloody hell was on my wireless. Then Hilary re-emerged and all was well with my Saturday morning again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a confusing time of the year when it comes to radio, Fen.

      Delete