Sunday, December 30, 2012

Stinking and Brighton Pt 1

I wanted to look at something at a speciality shop. There wasn't a branch in town, but one at Southland Shopping Centre and one in Church Street Brighton. It was a busy day for me. I needed a haircut, in Prahran, and a couple other bits and I wanted to see the Titan Arum at the Royal Botanic Gardens. Given christmas traffic and parking difficulties, no way did I want to take the car.

So Brighton's gain is at the expense of Southland due to there not being a railway station at Southland, even though it was promised by the present state government. Not a sodding sod has been turned.

A nice Art Deco block of apartments on the way to the gardens.

One day I will enter St Thomas Aquinas' church. Maybe thunder and lighting will happen.

Our public schools are very impressive in Melbourne.

Of course I use public schools in the English sense. These glorious green playing fields belong to the top private school in Melbourne. It is a curious thing that many of our government schools are in poor condition with lousy facilities, yet we taxpayers contribute towards these fine institutions.

The Titan Arum was magnificent. The lass in attendance told me it might flower two days before christmas or christmas eve. As it turned out, it flowered christmas day afternoon. The plant is also known as the Corpse Flower, owing to it stinking like rotting meat when it is in full bloom. It only flowers every seven years and it is a quite rare and endangered tropical plant. There were stories about it on ABC Melbourne on  Boxing Day morning. Oh no, no publicity. It will get too busy. R said it would be on the tv news that night, so I thought that afternoon after work would be our only chance to smell it.  With R we walked to the gardens for a whiff. Well, there was a queue a mile long, so we didn't bother. The queue the next day stretched out of the gate of the gardens and along The Tan. Well, I am glad I went when I did. I will just let some meat rot, and get the same smell.

I had not been in the RBG's tropical greenhouse for many years.

I loved this vertical garden.


While these bananas are growing in the greenhouse, given the right conditions, bananas will grow in Melbourne, but I don't think they will ripen.

This is it, the Titan Arum. I did take a better photo, but I am sure you don't want to see old grey haired ladies in the photo.

This is the frill that later opened out wide and that is when the plant stinks.

Tram to South Yarra and train to Middle Brighton. I have arrived on a different planet. No rubbish on the ground, not even a cigarette butt. Not one, not not one overweight person to be seen, except for me. Plenty of tight older faces and scrawny necks though. I saw just one black face. Even the traffic seemed ever so polite as the large black SUVs crawled along Church Street. It must be one of the last bastions of white middle class Australia. I bought what I wanted, well more than what I intended and headed back to Prahran. You see the same people there, but they are mixed up with every other variety and social status of people you could come across.

I do like a Moreton Bay Fig, this one at the corner of Park Street and Domain Road.

I am now in Middle Brighton. Funny, in spite of me mentioning that there were no overweight people, this lady has decent sized hips, shall I say.


Even the railway station was very pleasant.

10 comments:

  1. Brighton is always civilised but then I haven't been back since 2005! Those vertical gardens you like are probably made up from those 'air' plants which need almost no water at all. You just hook them up on a wire and they mysteriously just grow. Spray them with water maybe once a week during dry weather. They are very hardy and best of all, no soil or pot to muck about

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, I think we had one years ago. It used to sit on the fridge.

      Delete
  2. I saw the Titan Arum on TV, but I thought it was in our Adelaide Botanic Gardens. Perhaps there are two? I saw it open, with people walking around it taking photos and holding their noses, a few were saying "this is truly awful", so I'm glad I didn't go to see it.
    Brighton looks quite deserted, do people live there or just visit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I know Brisbane and Sydney have them, so possibly you do too. Yes, plenty of people live in Brighton. As Victor will confirm, I have a habit of getting few people in my photos, bit it wasn't intentional.

      Delete
  3. The arum looks impressive even when closed. I wish I knew it was going to flower. By the time it opened, the queues looked horrendous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They truly were Ad Rad. When we saw the queue and didn't go in, we hung around outside for a bit to see if we could smell it, but we couldn't.

      Delete
  4. Have you seen (and smelled) the Tongue Orchid at the Botanical Gardens? It's also in the greenhouse. I was lucky enough to see it in bloom many years ago. I think it hangs in the vertical garden but I could be wrong about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of it Wombat. I will find out.

      Delete
  5. aah I was in North Brighton last night. My companion said "is is just me or is everyone looking down their noses". I had to remind him what suburb we were in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, our friend the Brighton Antique Dealer lives in North Brighton, and I don't find it nearly as snooty as Middle Brighton.

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.