Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Southbank

Southbank is a suburb in its on right, with its own postcode, 3006. It begins as you cross the southern bank of the Yarra River and covers quite a large area west of St Kilda Road and as far south as Dorcas Street. At a guess I would say it has the highest number of residential and office towers of anywhere in Melbourne, perhaps Australia. There are some pleasant areas within Southbank, but much of it is canyons of tall buildings, although it has a better feel to it than Docklands.

 The interior of the renovated Hamer Hall is ok, but it has lost its sumptuousness.

I am not convinced that the new works with the old.

Down lower near the riverbank a huge Japanese restaurant has opened. I'll give it twelve months.

Looking across the sparkling blue water of the Yarra River to the north bank and the CBD.

I can just imagine how these coloured additions would be described by the architect or artists.

Old building, yes, old sign, no. South Bank hasn't been around for that long.

A name to be taken seriously, Carlton and United Breweries. Beer is good.

At the rear of the National Gallery of Victoria, opened 1968. The protuberance almost looks like it should have arrow slits in it. Note the bricked up area, perhaps what was a doorway.

There is little reason to hang around the back streets of Southbank. Most of its history has been destroyed and much of it was only industrial of no great merit anyway. I was catching the number 1 tram after coffee at Southgate. If you are a little confused, Southgate is an area within Southbank.

10 comments:

  1. Goodness. The renovated Arts Centre looks a little drab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was even drabber on the outside before MC. But really nice inside.

      Delete
  2. Those "coloured additions" look like bunches of balloons drifted onto the building and got stuck there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't think of that River, but yes, they do.

      Delete
  3. Colin9:08 am

    Good Gawd!
    Sparkling "BLUE" Yarra, you jest???
    I love the way people refer to rivers as being blue - I have yet to see the Brisbane River, the Parramatta River or the Torrens in Adelaide as BLUE!
    The best of these BLUE rivers is the "BLUE DANUBE" - certainly didn't live up to Herr Strauss's delightful waltz when I saw it??
    It will be interesting if your predictions on that rather large Japanese restaurant lasts over 12 months, certainly has a good location overlooking the Blue Yarra!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do jest Colin. I've seen crystal clear water at times, but never a blue river. I must remember to check back about the restaurant.

      Delete
  4. The Arts Precinct was the only valuable thing that the Hamer Government left for Melbourne, and it still functions well. The gallery, concert halls, theatres etc are great facilities - if only the crowding could be better handled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being an Arts Precinct has a lot to do with its success Hels, and its busy location. I recall one of the venues being very crowded when we saw something there once. I think crowding will be less of an issue at Hamer Hall post the renos. Hamer was very steady as she goes, wasn't he. I can't recall him doing much.

      Delete
  5. I saw a list of the restaurants that have closed in Docklands recently, very extensive.

    I rarely go to Southbank, it's not bad at night along the river I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the river side at night, and in the day. Not much else of merit.

      Delete