Saturday, December 22, 2012

Scaling

I guess we bought these scales in the 1990s. They are electronic with a red LED display, common at the time. Over the years the set become inaccurate, giving higher and higher readings, which we were finding quite depressing. Finally it failed altogether, displaying lo battery, which was not rectified by replacing the battery.

We looked for some new ones. Ouch, anything between $40 and $120 or more. We tried Big Trouble U, and this neat and uncomplicated set made of white glass was $30. We took it to a self scan register, and it scanned at $20. Nice one.

Of course for $20, you can't expect it to be dead accurate. We both feel it is giving a too higher reading, but it is useful to know if we are adding weight or losing weight.

13 comments:

  1. You certainly got a bargain there and now you can spend the ten dollars you saved on Christmas cheer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you think Windsmoke.

      Delete
  2. If it's giving too high a reading you might want to cut back on the mince pies and other goodies right after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely nothing to do with it, River.

      Delete
  3. Other people have problems with scales too? Mine started by giving readings that were way too high, but then the scales themselves started to shrink. When I stand on them now I cannot see the readout because my body is in the way, so I don't bother anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, I've got it. I lean forward a fraction to read the scales and clearly I upset the mechanism and it gives a high reading.

      Delete
  4. Ha ha, I have a set of scales, I rarely use them. I prefer to test by how my clothes are fitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, it is the age creep for me. It is ever so gradual and you usually throw clothes out after a couple of years and buy new ones, so I don't notice anything dramatic. But 60kg at 21 to 80 at... is less than 1kg a year.

      Delete
    2. Well that's not too bad then. You don't weigh much more than me!

      Delete
  5. Most scales these days are defective. Just like clothing sizes and tape measures. And all clothes shrink terribly in the washing machine. Or is that just me??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not just you Red. There is some kind of conspiracy against us to make us feel bad.

      Delete
  6. OMG I'm so happy Andrew..I have those exact same scales, and was freaking out thinking I was putting on weight, now I know it's not moi, it's those bloody defective scales phew! What a relief!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep Grace, rest easy and eat merry. Buy some new scales in February.

      Delete