Thursday, December 06, 2012

Post Natal Depression

I don't have a allergy to nuts. I am rather fond of nuts, big ones, small ones, in all their different shapes and sizes. There is nothing quite like having a hand full of nuts and popping them into your mouth.

From what have heard, baby immune systems are not being challenged enough to have resistance to nuts. Nut allergies have developed because children's immune systems are less developed than they were years ago. In spite of me not knowing anyone in my childhood years having a nut allergy, kids now die from their reaction to nuts.

I think society has gone a bit wrong somewhere with child rearing. Bone Doctor told us in no uncertain terms that we were to never give nuts to Little Jo. Now, we can. She does not have a nut allergy.

As I said, there was no such thing as a nut allergy when I was a kid, and nor was there post natal depression. Woman just got on with it, hey.

Or was there?

Tradie Brother was born about 1965. Mother had a difficult pregnancy and birth, using local country medical services. When Sister was born two years later, Mother was in a private wing of The Alfred, (Margaret Coles House?) and things went much better. I wonder who paid for that? Her parents, I guess.

Mother brought Tradie baby home to the farm on a freezing wet day in May. I can clearly remember wet clothes and nappies hanging around the place, all day, every day. Mother was straight back into cooking, cleaning and washing clothes for seven. Then Mother disappeared, and Tradie baby with her.

Father looked after us and he could kind of cook. One night he found a can of Lima Beans in the cupboard and added them to a meal. For a long time after, he ranted about  Lima Beans. Lima Beans became a running joke. It was a bit of a novelty for ABI Brother and I to not have Mother around and for Father to be doing domestic things. We did not mind and cared little for the new nuisance baby. Father is dead, ABI Brother is ABI and doesn't remember childhood things. I am the only one who knows about the running joke of the Lima Beans, except it is no longer a running joke.

Where was Mother and the new baby? She went home to her Mum and Dad for three weeks and returned back to the farm and all was back to normal.

I think it would be now classified as post natal depression, but back then, no such thing was diagnosed. Mother was never the same after that though. She suffered ongoing medical problems, real and some exaggerated.

14 comments:

  1. Parents these days are too quick wrap their kids in cotton wool for fear of them getting sick but what parents are really doing is exactly that making them sick by not allowing their kids immune system to grow strong. Roasted peanuts in the shell yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Windsmoke, it is the way I see it. None of my nieces or nephew were wrapped in cotton wool and they don't have any problems.

      Delete
  2. ABI?

    Your poor mother - to do something that drastic in those days is a strong indication that she was struggling with PND for sure. My mum told me that she did with my younger brother - her third and final child. He was sent back to hospital for a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, Acquired Brain Injury. At least it wasn't you who tipped your mother over the edge, that time anyway.

      Delete
  3. I have to agree with you that there was no such thing as a nut allergy decades ago, at least not in epidemic proportions. Now the schools won't allow children to bring any nut product whatsoever to school, nor will they allow the children to swap food from their lunch boxes.

    So there are three possibilities a] modern parents are talking bullshit about their precious children or b] nut allergies used to be underdiagnosed, or misdiagnosed as something else or c] something systemic really has changed for the worse in the world, in only one generation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is puzzling Hels. I will just throw into the ring, caesarean. What is the first thing in a baby's mouth when it is naturally born? A mouth of various fluids from its mother, surely kicking starting the growth of a healthy immune system.

      I think c] is closest to the mark including as Windsmoke said above.

      Delete
  4. I'm concerned too about the nut allergy epidemic, along with several other food allergies. I have my own theory, maybe the allergy isn't to actual nuts, but a genetically developed reaction to the chemical pesticides and fertilisers that have been used for the last century or so. These chemicals remain in the soils for quite a long time, and as we all know, peanuts grow underground. With other nut allergies springing up from tree nuts, I can only think that the trees have been growing in the pesticide laden soils and these pesticides are now showing up in the nuts. Further to this, I think there may be a whole new generation of "allergic kids", from parents who avoid certain types of foods while pregnant because they "may" cause harm to the developing foetus. Generations ago, everyone ate everything, pregnant or not and the babies were fine, growing into kids who could eat anything without problems.
    You are also right about too many being sheltered to the point where they don't develop immunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty plausible River. I did not know peanuts grew underground. I would pooh pooh the whole don't eat nuts thing, except kids now die from eating nuts. I would not mind my taxes being spent on finding out why.

      Delete
  5. P.S. I remember a woman years ago...when advised that children should not have nuts until age 5, she said that would be a problem because her P has always had nuts, he was born with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boom Boom! Age of five was the nut eating advice given to Sister and Bone Doctor about Little Jo. I am surprised Bone Doctor, given she is a highly qualified doctor, went along with it.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous12:27 am

    I also didn't know anyone who had a nut allergy when I was a kid. However, a friend of mine (who is the same age as me) has had a severe nut allergy since childhood. The only nut she can eat is pecans.

    I think the overuse of pesticides and chemicals, coupled with anti-bacterial cleaners and the like, is a major factor in the increase of allergies and asthma. Cleanliness is one thing but today many people seem to think that we need to live in a sterile environment. I really can't see how that is healthy. It just makes people's immune systems weaker.

    On the subject of post-natal depression, I think the lack of family support can make it difficult for a woman with a new baby. In Japan, many women return to the their parents' home up to a month before the baby is born and they stay there for at least a month after the baby is born, sometimes longer. Their husbands are often left behind for the duration because they can't go due to work.

    If the woman can't return to her parents' house, her mother will usually stay with her daughter and son-in-law for several weeks after the birth. Both scenarios mean mothers get help with new babies. Of course, the paternal grandmother often lives in the same house or nearby and is on hand to help when the maternal grandmother leaves. V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting about Japan, V. Family support seems to be the key. For a new mother, to have her own mother who is experienced at child raising, there with her must be an immense help.

      Delete
  7. Agree with above, PND must have been around forever, just not talked about. As for nuts I've always enjoyed 'nibbling Nobbies nuts' haha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, you have to be of a certain age to remember that ad.

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.