Thursday, December 20, 2012

Our ABC, for the summer

Let me say that I have no issue with reducing costs over the christmas period by our ABC by national broadcasting. It has been around for a long time and I expect it.

It can be rather good. I would have never heard the snappy Kelly Higgins-Devine if programmes did not go national over the holiday period. I like her rather a lot.

But already the rot of national broadcasting has set in. Pauses, and then the auto music kicks in. Supposedly national news having a strong Sydney focus. Broadcasters forgetting that they are performing for a national audience (this is ABC Canberra, 666. Oi, what about the rest of Australia?).

You know what is the worst? Broadcasters pretending they are in a mythical broadcasting centre of Australia and not identifying where they are. There is no harm in saying when broadcasting all over Australia where you actually are and which local radio station you work for. It is nothing more than honesty. By the same token, if the broadcast is coming from Sydney, don't talk about an obscure local suburb as if we all know where it is.

"This is 'name inserted' broadcasting from Northern Tasmania Australia wide for our evening programme". Well, something a little less formal but you get the drift.

Still, I am in Melbourne and we don't do so badly. I think I heard Perth mentioned on the current affairs tv show 730 last night.  Lordy!


10 comments:

  1. Yeah it all gets a tad confusing and I find myself listening to my iPod more. Maybe I just don't like change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listen to a lot of podcasts Fen. I like ABC Local in the morning, but it gets boring in the afternoon.

      Delete
  2. Try living in Adelaide. Apparently we don't exist over on this side of the border. The world stops at the western edge of the Blue Mountains for Sydneyites. And the Canberra mob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you need some more odd and gruesome murders. That will get you back into the news. I did hear your public transport is well behind the eight ball. But nice places to live are usually boring and boring does not make the news.

      Delete
  3. I bet Perth was only mentioned in relation to sharks and the multitude there seems to be swimming around our shores at the moment!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to check. It was about a whistleblower who worked at a privately run public hospital at Mandurah, managed by Health Solutions.

      Delete
  4. National radio? I don't think so!

    Have you ever read the so-called national newspaper, The Australian? It is more parochial than the radio, even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to Hels, on weekends for the arty bits. Parochial towards Sydney?

      Delete
  5. Getting the NSW weather forecast is a sure way to make South Australians feel a part of 'our' ABC ... I can only imagine what the Taswegians feel like!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I don't think Tassie does too badly. I think it would be a toss up between SA, NT and WA as to who gets the rawest ABC deal.

      Delete