Friday, December 07, 2012

Luna Park turns 100

Melbourne's Luna Park has turned 100 years old. Strangely I don't have a photo of the mouth, Mr Moon.

Here is a little trivia from from the City of Port Phillip publication Divercity.

The world's first full length feature film, The Story of the Kelly Gang, was filmed on the site in 1906.

The Great Scenic Railway is the oldest continually operating wooden roller coaster in the world still operating under its original design with a ride on brake operator.

Polish born Rose is a senior and she recounts her first Big Dipper ride at Luna Park at the age of 17 when she went there with a boy.

...we go to the Big Dipper. The boy says it's the best...we slow down, almost stop in mid-air. Then like a whirlwind we descend. Everyone is screaming. I am am frightened and screaming. I hang on to the boy, my arms around his neck. I am holding on tight. Suddenly a warm feeling enfolds my body. It's like I am melting. I realise I am being kissed.

My favourite:

Throughout World War 1, Luna Park added a side-show called Kaiser's Kitchen. Visitors could take their anger out on the German enemy by hurling crockery at an effigy of Kaiser Wilhelm.

Photo from Trip Advisor.

I've been to Luna Park many times.  I have taken my brothers and sister, one older niece, neighbour's children and even to a gay party held there one year. I suppose Little Jo will be the next person I take to Luna Park.

8 comments:

  1. 'Suddenly a warm feeling enfolds my body'

    For a moment I was wondering where that was heading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I had the same thought when I first read the piece.

      Delete
  2. ahh yes, lots of good times were had in Luna Park :) lots of first kisses in the Big Dipper and first gropes in the River Caves. Noone had much money back then and certainly no cars, so a cheap day at Luna Park followed by an even cheaper time on the beach was perfect. The trammies knew what was going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can well imagine Hels. Perhaps could be referred to as a rite of passage, but not for me stuck in the country.

      Delete
  3. I thought Luna Park was already over 100 years old. I've never been there in spite of living in Melbourne twice. I do have a photo of the entrance taken from the ferry I was on in 2010.
    I'm not sure how good it is, buildings were in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. River, the Sydney Luna Park face in 2010?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That wooden roller coaster is terror personified, esp if you look too closely at the rusty bolts and hear the creaks of age.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it is safe Kath, but I agree. I remember it looking, well, old.

      Delete