Thursday, December 13, 2012

It goes on and on

Talkback caller: I only go to the city from Templestowe two or three times a year. I don't want a Myki card as it will expire in between trips.

Perhaps she meant the money will expire. It won't. The card will after four years and she will get an email informing her that it is about to expire. I expect within that four years, in fact much sooner than that, an easy replacement system will be developed.

She sounded like she was an edjicated person but obviously not in the way of Myki. Yes, there are issues with Myki, but not as many as are put about.

Another caller mentioned all the cruise ships that are arriving at Port Melbourne, and how are they supposed to know about Myki? Firstly, I think they would be told in advance by ship staff about what to do. Secondly, I am sure the shop at Port Melbourne's Station Pier sells Myki cards. Thirdly, I have heard many of them get whisked off on a bus to NOT see Melbourne, but perhaps the Dandenongs, much to the chagrin of the Red Shirt volunteer guides who are there and waiting to help them see Melbourne.

I have observed on trams quite a few clunky sounds when people attempt to use their Myki cards. It is the typical kind of sound you hear when something on your computer doesn't work. It is a clearly negative sound. I've not always been watching, but from what I saw on tv tonight, people move their cards around.  My and R's Myki cards work while tucked away in our wallets. Most people present their cards raw.
For goodness sake, put you card to where you are supposed to put and hold it there. Don't jiggle it up and down. The speed at which your card is read is a serious issue, but moving it around over the reading point just will not help.


11 comments:

  1. ...I'm still dreading trying to buy and use the damn things on the two days I'm there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, you go to the shop, two Mykis plus a concession cards thanks and hand over $15 ($6+6+3) plus some extra for travel credit. Better, tell your mother to buy them for you before you arrive. Nearly everyone uses Myki now.

      Delete
  2. "put your card where you are supposed to and hold it there" also applies to credit cards when using the new "pay wave/pay pass" technology at checkouts. Simply waving the card across the screen or tapping it quickly, doesn't do any good, the machine needs a second or two to "read" the card. I explain this several times a day to customers who are doing it for the first time. Every single time, I get thanked because "no one has ever explained that to me".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I recall the ads for it, and they are why people get it wrong. I don't particularly trust such technology and I can't choose the money to be deducted from my savings. Well, actually, I can, as I have Visa debit card. That would work.

      Delete
    2. I might like to try it. Where exactly do you hold your card?

      Delete
  3. Meanwhile I have not heard a peep about Sydney's Opal Card trial since the morning it started.

    I guess that means it is neither a huge success to be trumpeted by the Government nor a disaster to be criticised by the Opposition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, it is one thing for it to be used on ferries, quite another when it goes into action at Town Hall.

      Delete
  4. "For goodness sake, put you card to where you are supposed to put and hold it there. Don't jiggle it up and down." YESSIR!! Ha ha ha <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some will never learn.

      Delete
    2. Yes, and some enjoy complaining about things that really aren't that difficult :P

      Delete
    3. Funnily Fen, R and I were discussing Myki on the tram home from town this evening. He said what a mess it was. I asked why? When have you ever had any trouble with it? Apart from the exorbitant cost, he could not come up with anything.

      Delete