Friday, December 28, 2012

I ought not be suspicious

R and I agreed this year that we would not buy each other a christmas gift, mainly because neither could think of anything for the other. I did end up buying him a battery powered robot fish to swim around when he is having a bath. I rather like it myself and we gave it a try out in the kitchen sink.

But what did R do? He bought me an electric book reader. I know little about them and he knew even less. It is a Kindle and it is tied to Amazon for buying electric books. I was desperate to read a book on it, and so I did actually pay $10 for one, but I can't imagine I will be doing that too often. Kindle uses a different file format to most other readers, so when I snaffle some free books from somewhere, I will probably have to convert the files.

What I find amazing is how quickly I am getting through a book when using the Kindle. I am also very impressed with how readable the screen is. Even in direct sunlight, the text is bright and crystal clear. Apparently it uses E-Ink, or is that E-Paper? Maybe both. I don't think it is an expensive model, but it is all I need for putting a toe in the water. In the past I think I may have stated that I prefer a proper book. Now I am not so sure.





But Christmas Day brought forth a puzzlement. Among the usual gifts, Sister and Bone Doctor, instead of spending maybe $30 each for a gift for R and myself, bought us tickets to see Jersey Boys. I could not believe they spent so much money on us, like a total of $290. What are they up to? Or were they feeling guilty that I had not seen Little Jo for so long? R has seen her more recently.


16 comments:

  1. Bath time is gunna be interesting from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Windsmoke. I almost feel the need for a bath.

      Delete
  2. You know what Queen Victoria said. She just lay back and thought of England. You will love Jersey Boys!

    Present giving, or not giving, is a trap, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, gift giving is mired in liquid cow dropping. Next year, I am sure we will buy goats for some people.

      Delete
  3. Oh dear...eReaders. Expensive musical tickets. Anyone going away on extended holidays and need some serious baby sitting? I do love the idea of a robot fish pedalling away in a bath...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, it won't be us going away, and the Highrise looks after itself when we are away, which is one reason why it is nice to live here. I am slightly excited about when I see the fish in the bath.

      Delete
  4. TOH reads books on the iPad it is great for reading in bed as you don't need a light on. Have fun in the bathtub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What does Diane do while TOH reads books on his IPad?

      Delete
  5. OMG I wish someone had given me tickets for The Jersey Boys, I wouldn't care a jot about ulterior motives, I'm glad no one gave me a Kindle though haha! Enjoy both..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I am sure R will not read this. Kindle is something I could have lived without. But it was a nice gift. I hope Jersey Boys has fun music.

      Delete
  6. My version of Kindle doesn't have a built in light, I need to turn on the bedside lamp to read in bed.
    There are free and cheap books available from the kindle site, search there (the free list)for the genre you prefer and load up your kindle with a few.
    The free books I got from my brother via usb (and more from a friend at work) were easy enough to load on. A little complicated, but once you've done it, you don't forget how.
    Load them into your "documents" on your laptop, then connect your kindle to the laptop. Highlight the books, right click, on the drop down menu select "send to" then from the next drop down menu select "kindle". The books will transfer to the kindle document section. Over on your documents sidebar (menu?) you should see "kindle" listed. Double click that to open it (your kindle must be connected to your laptop) and your selected books should be listed there, with a small menu above that includes another "documents" listing. Highlight the books again, hold down your left click and "drag" them to the new documents. From there, highlight the books again, right click and choose "send to kindle". The books will transfer, but might not show up in the kindle index until you disconnect it from your laptop. One or two books will load quickly, several dozen takes longer.
    All of this sounds harder and longer than it actually is. Maybe there is a simpler system.
    You may prefer to just buy books from the Amazon kindle site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tips River. No doubt I will return here to check in the future. Mine does not have a light either.

      Delete
  7. I suppose I will be the last of the die hards as the only way I will ever have an e-reader is if they start burning books again. I've tried them a couple of times but still prefer the real deal. I've also heard that some of the books are abridged versions. Regardless, it is the thought that counts when it comes to gifts.

    Enjoy the Jersey Boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you have tried them Rubye, so your opinion is informed and valid. I don't like abridged, so I better make sure before downloading.

      Delete
  8. I'm like Rubye, I prefer 'real' books as opposed to e-books. However, I know many people who swear by their Kindle/iPad/iPhone e-readers.
    Can you post of picture of the robot fish? I'm intrigued. May have to have a bath when visiting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take a photo of it Wombat. You'd better have a bath when you are here, one at the very least. Don't think you can bring your picked up foreign habits here.

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.