Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy 2013

Last year I gave out a couple of blog awards. The recipients did not collect their prizes, so this year I will go down a different track.

Technology just amazes me. No doubt younger people take it for granted, but I do not. When I woke last Saturday morning, our Metcard switch off day,  via Twitter I quickly learned that the last Metcard ticket was issued on a tram at 2.30 am between St Kilda and Malvern. Ten years ago, how would I have ever known that. Whether the information is accurate and/or particularly interesting, is beside the point.

I was looking on this computer at free Amazon books for my new Kindle. I selected one and there was an option, send it to Andrew's Kindle. I clicked, and by the time I rose from my seat, walked across the room, picked up and switched on my Kindle, the book was there. Just amazing. I went back to the computer and clicked send and receive on my email, and there was the account, for $0.00.

Don't we all like to have a go at the Weather Bureau? Or BOM, Bureau of Meteorology, as it is now known. BOM now does seven day forecasts with absolutely incredible accuracy. BOM has the biggest mother of a computer to help them, but their forecasts are amazingly accurate now, especially if you just ignore 'chance of a shower', which usually means a shower if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

For Friday, BOM has said it will be 39 degrees. They may be a degree or so out, but I am damn sure it is going to be a very hot day.

So yes, take a bow for 2012, BOM. You have excelled in the last couple of years.

I shall be working NYE, from 7pm to 4am, with little extra reward. No partying for me and any kind of sleep pattern I like to have is completed screwed. I don't care so much about the former, but I hate disrupted sleep patterns. No, I won't be pulling beers or making cocktails. R has advised me to have dinner before I start work and then have snacks. Probably a good idea. He has made me a lasagne, a comfort meal, knowing how I am dreading the night. I am just lost trying to work out how to deal with such working hours. I was told when I started the job that shift work was involved. The worst case is your start at 5 am or finish at 1 pm. How that has changed. Years ago a vexatious person told me I should get a proper job. I should have listened. While I very rarely don't front up for work, I can well expect that it going to take me more than one day to recover from such absurd hours and I will possibly be unwell on the next working day and take a day's sick leave.

Yes, I am grumpy as I write, but I will get over it. Nevertheless, happy new year. We at the Highrise have a bit to look forward to in 2013 and I hope you do too.

[Insert fireworks picture here, or bubbling champagne in a glass. Damn it, I am in a foul mood and can't be effing well be bothered and my moaning about work has ruined what was supposed to be a nice and happy post]




24 comments:

  1. I don't envy you working such unsociable hours. If it makes you feel any better as I look out of my window here in London, the sky is dark and overcast, the wind is throwing whatever rubbish it can find into the air and then down my drive. But the temperature is about 9C which is very mild for late Dec. Here's wishing you and yours a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Happy New Year to you Fun60, and pleased to have you reading my blog. London is my spiritual home, even though I have only visited once. My London tales would be under the label London and they would be early posts under that label. I got sunburnt on my first day in London and cooked in The Tube. Amazing.

      Delete
  2. 7pm to 4am? That's a crappy shift and you have the right to be grumpy about it. Did you have an option to refuse it?
    Being New Year's Eve makes it worse. Will you be able to look out and see fireworks at least?

    I've never done a night shift. The closest I ever came was working overtime until 7pm from a 7am start in a shoe factory. 3 days a week we did this and I was happy to do it, thinking I was helping out with the mortgage.

    Anyway, Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No option to refuse River. No fireworks for me this year. Actually, I think I have seen enough for my lifetime. Helping out with who's mortgage? You and your husbands or your parents?

      Delete
    2. And why only thinking you were helping out?

      Delete
    3. PS, and thanks for the good wishes. They are returned.

      Delete
    4. Mine and hubby's mortgage, while he was busy gambling away his payments, so we lost the house anyway. I loved that house, had great plans for the backyard.

      Delete
  3. That's appalling! 3 hours of overtime on Saturday morning used to do me in - I hope you can find some creative ways to show your displeasure ...

    At this hour on NYE, my creativity levels are pretty low, but maybe others will be able to come up with something!

    Happy New Year anyway - see you on the other side of 2012!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you agree Red. I like the way you are thinking. It is now 2013 and my sincere best wishes to you and the other half. My brain is screwed. I can't even think of the name you use for him.

      Delete
  4. Ugh, I remember occasionally filling in on the graveyard shift and I would always feel sick all the next day. Some of us just aren't wired to work such hours but at least it will be over soon. I hope you don't have to work those hours too often. Happy New Year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, it will probably be half past five before I go to bed. I might rise by 11. I feel cheated out of a day. I almost always work during the day. Done and dusted now. Happy New Year to you.

      Delete
  5. Have a great New Year, all. And remember, grumpy is relative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, I sit here at 4.50am with the Scottish Doctor for comfort, and I am feeling in a better mood now. A great 2013 to you and the other half.

      Delete
  6. At one stage I was manager to three teams of shift workers, about forty staff in all. I was the only 'regular business hours' worker with a straight salary but in reality I was on call 24/7. All my subordinates were on lower salaries but actually earning more than I because of shift penalty rates. But it was me who had to answer to senior management and/or the courts when any of their decisions/actions was under review or appeal.

    Not complaining, just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, it often happens like that, because of penalty rates. Of course you subordinates always made the right calls, even if the court thought it was wrong.

      Delete
  7. Pilchard & I have also made it to the other side ... but my creativity levels are still way LOOOOOW ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. We actually got a few things done today.

      Delete
  8. aaah shift work does your body and your mind no good. I can attest to that.

    Big cuddles to you blog friend, may your 2013 be wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you survived the killer shift. I thought of you at 10pm (my time) last night, just as the fireworks would have been going off over the Yarra. I had to wait a further 2 hours to enjoy my own metaphoric fireworks, but it was worth it - lots of good wine, company and music. Happy 2013! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wombat, you were at Eat? I am sure you had a great time.

      Delete
  10. Happy New Year 'grumpy bum' !! Actually I'm hoping you're not so grumpy by the time you read this hahaha !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. All good now.

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.