Monday, December 24, 2012

Another christmas and more crap

Mother really excels at christmas with her gift giving. I tell her to not worry about presents, save the money, except for Little Jo. She takes no notice. I don't know how many gifts she has given us that are just inappropriate for us. Does she not notice we don't have dark stained timber around the the Highrise? Why would she give us dark timber photo frames, or a repro polished timber barometer? What about a traditional cut crystal vase, among our modern glass. If I did not take the hint with the second family history album, I am not likely to do much with the third.

NB The lovely Ann O'dyne taught me how to do a family tree. You stick sheets of wrapping paper together and write on the back. It is the only way to get anything big enough to contain all the links that shoot off into the far distance. You can add sheets in any direction.

Sister once gave us a lettuce spinner, to dry lettuce. I am not aware of us ever serving her wet lettuce. It remained unused and appeared at some time in one of Mother's garage sales, right in front of Sister's eyes. If anyone asks what we want for christmas, I suggest a bottle of something nice.

I best not spoil christmas with my whinging and moaning. Some really nice things happen at christmas and mail deliveries are just fabulous. Best is when hand made cards arrive.  

A friend's dog. We have not seen the friend for many years, even though he lives within an hour's drive. We holidayed with him to New Zealand in the early eighties. He was going to come to R's significant birthday a couple of years ago, but sent last minute apologies. He is gay, as his brother who he lives with. We met the brother once and he was a lovely and quite attractive guy. What a shame he is a recidivist offender of a very serious and distasteful crime. Our friend watches him very closely and so far, so good.

Just gorgeous and you can colour associate back to the blog owner.

 Naive art? I like it a lot. There is quite a story behind the art.

One from overseas. I will make the most of the new year by using the key. What wonderful positive words adorn the card.

Not related to christmas, but I won a prize! A virginal Metcard, in a wallet and signed by an ex VIP at the PTUA. What do ex VIP's do? Get a life? Like all high achievers, they have a life too. The prize was not a prize per se, but a charity auction item. Red Cross seems to be unaffiliated to religion and while at times their administration costs can be called into question, they always seem to be there when help is needed and via the associated Red Crescent, they offer help everywhere. Metcards have been part of Melbourne's public transport system for quite a number of years, but they will disappear on the 29th of December, replaced by Myki stored value cards. I wish I had kept old tram and train tickets, but I have this time.

You can guess I am trying to wrap up christmas related things. Bakers Delight mince pies, $6.60. Ordinary with thick pastry and a lot air space inside with little filling. Brumbys, better at $9.90 with better pastry and a delicious filling, but not enough of it. Browns Bakery, $17.50 for open pies, full of fantastic filling and very nice pastry. You get what you pay for. I will make my own next year. Sis in Law's late mother had an excellent recipe. Please don't remind me in early December about making mince pies and I don't want to hear about you local bakery that makes excellent mince pies and sells them quite cheaply.

18 comments:

  1. We've all received a dud christmas present at some stage but its the thought that counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Windsmoke, unless it is an already read book passed off as new.

      Delete
  2. TO had a big 60th bash some years ago. People were given raffle tickets as they arrived. At the scheduled time numbers were drawn from hats and people asked to choose a wrapped present "from the pile of crap you have all given me over the years". It was fun, and very few bits left behind.

    Mother is in a nursing home and only needs food, fags and grog. This year I sent her a clutch of oxfam chickens, telling her a lady in another country will look after them for her. She's cool with stuff like that. Last year it was a goat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a lot of fun FC. I have yet to do the Oxfam thing. No doubt once Mother has gone, things will change a lot.

      Delete
  3. I don't do Christmas, but I still know the silliness of wasting scarce money on presents that go straight to the nearest charity shop.

    Why not give a gift certificate to a bookshop, a cinema, the National Gallery etc etc, depending on what the recipient likes most. That way, the pleasure of the gift will be maximised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, as we have done with the older nieces and nephews. They don't really need anything we could buy them.

      Delete
  4. Yeh I'd rather get nothing than stuff I have no use for.

    I have some mince pies floating about, not tasted them yet to see if they're any good. Not even sure where they originated from!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I won't mention bakeries, but I do know where you can get excellent mince pies.
    my daughter does Oxfam gifts for me for Mother's day. This year's one was a bucket. More specifically, a Hygiene Bucket, with a lid to prevent spillage and keep the water cleaner, and a dispenser tap. a couple of years ago it was chickens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, give them a plug River. I guess not available here though? We are getting strong thoughts about Oxfam gifts next year.

      Delete
    2. Straight from the oven in my kitchen Andrew.

      Delete
  6. Oh this post brought back memories Andrew. My dear old Mum used to keep Readers Digest afloat in the hope of winning one of their big prizes. I'm sure she spent more than any of the prizes. The point is she used to always give us books, sometimes the same book three years in a row haha! Oh how I wish she was still here doing it now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to say Very Happy Christmas Andrew, won't it be fab when its over haha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, once RD got hold of your name and address, they were relentless. Happy christmas. This year is a low stress christmas.

      Delete
  8. I think buying presents from charities or worthy causes is a great idea as they get some much need cash. This year all my Chrissie presents and cards came from the animal shelter I volunteered at.

    ReplyDelete
  9. V, that is probably a good one, with low admin costs. Before buying, people need to have a quick look at where the money really goes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just humour your mother and say thanks...makes her happy to give - the gifts I got from mum are treasures now that I no longer have her near me... she was a lot younger than your mum but we had some crazy amazing pressies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I do really. I can complain here, but never to her face. Oh, I suddenly feel a bit teary.

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.