Friday, November 09, 2012

Shazam and Kapow

I downloaded an app to my phone called Shazam. You switch the app on and hold your phone up to a speaker playing music and the app identifies the song and the artist. I tried in on lots of different music that I have stored on my computer and it worked perfectly, even identifying an obscure Noel Coward song and Puccini's Madama Butterfly (you know the song, the one that makes you cry), except it must have been sung in Italian, who would have thought, and so it gave me the answer in Italian.

Maybe one day I will actually use it as intended when I hear a song I like. Weeks have passed and I haven't yet.

I proudly boasted of the brilliance of the app to R, who shook his head and muttered, 'too much time on your hands'. Grumpy old luddite.

13 comments:

  1. I can see where such an app would come in handy, at a quiz night for example, for the music questions. apart from that I don't know that it would be too useful; for instance hearing a bit of a song while at work, by the time you get your phone, turn on the app etc, the song could be over and if you're out somewhere and hear a tune but can't find the speaker, what good is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No use at all River. I don't think it would pick up music in your store. Perhaps it might just say 'generic christmas carol'.

      Delete
  2. oooh, I'd love that app. Then again, it would mean I'd have to get an iPhone.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep Kath. Mine is Android.

      Delete
  3. I so get R's point haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friends like you Grace...

      Delete
  4. 'Un Bel Di Vedremo' (One Fine Day) from Madama Butterfly. I have Shazam on my phone and have never used it. The person who recommended it to me said it is useful when you hear music on a television advertisement and wonder where it came from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what it said Victor. Do we really want to know what music a tv ad uses? I did once. It was Lady Ga Ga.

      Delete
    2. I once went nearly crazy trying to track down a tune used in an ad for new housing developments. Turned out to be Whistling Jack Smith. Finding a song played over the PA at work several years ago was easier. I simply emailed the radio station, listed a few words that I remembered and what time I'd heard it. They emailed me back the title of the song and the artist the same day.

      Delete
    3. That was pretty good of them River. I remember years ago ringing a radio station to find out about a song, and was given short shrift.

      Delete
  5. Kath, you could get an iPhone or an Android, they both have the app.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We know which is the better choice Fen.

      Delete
    2. *nod nod wink wink*

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.