Saturday, November 17, 2012

Matters of the Aborigine

I heard that the television show Redfern Now was pretty well a fully aboriginal effort, from the actors to writers, producers to all  those who you don't see on camera. I especially enjoyed the first one, the third was ok and I have yet to see the second.

I found this at Hoopla. They are a few tweets from Australian Aborigines under the hashtag 'I tried to be authentic but'. They made me laugh. I expect you have to be Australian to get them all.

#Itriedtobeauthenticbut


@LukeLPearson every year at Corroboree I just end up line-dancing by myself in a corner somewhere singing “Achy-Breaky heart”
@AnitaHeiss I’ve thrown more parties than boomerangs!
@Ebswearspink I thought the song “from little things big things grow” had to do with superannuation
@Shannondod the only culture I know is Culture Club
@nathblackmagic writing stories in books is a lot easier than writing stories in caves:)
@Morris11Donna the only tracking I do is with gps
@Utopiana  my parents named me “Celeste”, rather than giving me a traditional blackfella name like “Alison” or “Bess”
@PeteDawson law school wouldn’t accept my essays in dot form
 @anitaheiss the only stars I want to sleep under is five stars. *****
@Nareenyoung I actually have no artistic talent. Whatsoever
@Morris11Donna I buy my speared meat on kebabs at the supermarket
@Tahjee_Moar the only time I stand on one leg is when I do the tree pose in yoga
@Ebswearspink my totem animal was a tamagotchi



15 comments:

  1. Love these, Andrew! [esp law school]

    Redfern 1 great drama, RF2 funny and dramatic, R3 good not great [beats big brother etc]

    If anyone has missed them they are online at http://www.abc.net.au/tv/redfernnow/video/?play=/tv/streams/redfernnow/ep/redfernnow_01_01.mp4
    All worth watching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, it is nice to see Aborigines portrayed in another way to what we normally see.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:00 pm

    Will have to check this show out. I loved the comments, especially the last one - that made me laugh out loud! V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fave comment too. Apparently there were quite a lot more.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of this show. When is it on and what channel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was on River. Finished now. It was ABC1 at 8.30 on Thursdays. A new series is being made.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:03 am

    I ended up watching all three episodes tonight. They were pretty good. Thanks for the recommendation. V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are ahead of me then V.

      Delete
  5. I wonder if they had the series here in the U.S. Australian films have always been my favorites, but I can't find anything on U.S. google about it.

    These are funny tweets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, you might have to find it by questionable means, as did someone above, I expect.

      Delete
  6. Humour is the key to world peace I think - when we feel we can't shitstir within reason then we are lost I reckon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, it is kinda an ownership thing, like gay people take on poof as their own word, and immigrants take on wog as their own word.

      Delete
  7. LOL
    I must watch RF on ABC iView, the reviews were good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first was a cracker Jayne. See that one if none else.

      Delete
  8. I missed all three Andrew, thank goodness for iView.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.