Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Freeview

Back here I warned you of what you face if you buy a digital tv recorder sub branded Freeview.

It seems the Freeview group, made up of commercial and government broadcasters, is working on a system to send television shows over the internet. Be afraid, I should think.

Last week I missed a show on SBS TV and I thought I would use their internet catch up system to watch it. It came with ads. It was unwatchable on a computer. While the ads were shorter, they had far more impact than normal tv ads, but not in they way advertisers would hope. I just gave up watching after a bit. Of course a government broadcaster carrying commercial advertising is a matter I feel rather strongly about.


11 comments:

  1. I don't watch TV on my computer, so that's okay. I don't watch much TV at all, a lot of dvds though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny River. We hardly ever watch a dvd. There is so much good stuff on free to air tv, we don't have the space to watch dvds.

      Delete
  2. Hi Andrew

    I've watched SBS on the internet. Mostly, there is a fifteen-second ad every 15 minutes - a much shorter break than if you watch in real time. I agree that SBS should not have any advertising at all, but it does.

    xxx

    Pants

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that all Pants? Why was I so bothered when I was trying to watch the second episode of 56 Up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Years of experience in the corporate world taught me to be able to tune out stuff at will. This skill is easily transferrable to television!!! And it's invaluable at parties ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect Red. It is a skill we all need.

      Delete
  5. Don't remember watching SBS online, though I have been watching the ABC Redfern series on my pc.

    The Age also has an online TV station with lots of program choices - these have ads but as I'm on a pc I just play cards while they roll.

    The only digital recording we have is an on-demand service for pay TV. I think the max ff speed is x 30 but so long as I'm not actually watching the ads I figure I'm the winner. Ads on pay tv are an insult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, ABC Iview is excellent. I am always looking at The Age online, but I haven't noticed their tv station. Agree. You are paying for pay tv and yet you get ads too!

      Delete
    2. theage.com.au/tv/

      Delete
  6. Grrrrrrrrrr adverts...enough said!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Necessary evil I guess Grace, but they could be placed with much more style.

      Delete