Friday, November 02, 2012

First World Problem?



I feel so fortunate to live a city in the first world, a place where things just work, a place where we are safe and protected by the rules put in place by authorities. We have many health and safety rules and regulations and they are worth the bother the sometimes cause us, because they protect us. So, I would assume what is in this video is perfectly safe. It must be a trick of a camera.

I feel inclined to blame Metro, our private train company, but no. These are government owned rail tracks, and they are responsible for them, no matter how they might like to pass on blame. That it is a single track is a disgrace in itself.

Rod Williams, the maker of the short video has many fine Australia wide train videos on You Tube.

10 comments:

  1. On a blind bend too, hopefully the drivers know their tracks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course they do Victor. Note how they cautiously slow right down.

      Delete
  2. Colin1:13 pm

    Nay! That has got to be a trick video.
    Those tracks as shown would not have let that train pass - it would have gone over!
    I just don't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin, I have seen worse, but the train wasn't travelling at that speed.

      Delete
    2. Colin4:38 pm

      Thankfully in my travels I haven't seen worse, speed would have nothing to do with the train coming off the lines - the video is absolute garbage.

      Delete
    3. Colin!!!! The person who filmed it is a respected filmer? of trains. Try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0d7G19jEA4&feature=plcp for something with a more local flavour.

      Delete
  3. Haven't you posted this one before? My bad if not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, so I have. Completely forgot. Jesus, even the subject line is similar. http://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2011/08/i-am-privileged-to-be-born-into-first.html

      Delete
  4. Ha ha, phew, my alzheimers isn't as bad as I first thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine may well be Fen, or worse.

      Delete