Monday, November 05, 2012

Dinge Queen

Dinge Queen was title I heard over a decade ago. I don't know if it derogatory or not. To me it is just descriptive. A Dinge Queen is a gay guy who likes black guys. While there is racism in Australia's gay scene, it is mostly directed against Asian guys, and in more recent years has been toned down a lot, so generally in a personal ad, you won't see 'no Asians', more likely 'white guy preferred' or a variation on such.

This exchange in online media is interesting to me as it is something I wasn't aware of. I suppose most of our views of America come via movies and television and it all seems like one big happy melting pot, with black people living and working side by side with white people and Asian Americans (what about native Americans?) You don't always see the real Australia in our films and television and I expect that goes for all countries.

Note the first sentence in the second last paragraph. There are white, Asian and Latins and then there are the others, the blacks. I haven't corrected any spelling etc. It as it was written.

I was out with my gay friends the other night, and i could not help notice the signs up at the gay clubs before you walk into the bars that said "No Baggy Pants" "No Corn Rows" "Not Hip-Hop Dress & Do-Rags" Then when we went out for a smoke, a white guy was called a Nasty Vile Dinge Queen, and told to GTFO of Westhollywood and take your brillo head with you!
It seems like black people are not wanted anyplace in the gay community. Is this just in Los Angeles or in most gay communities?
When i asked my white friends, they said it's the worst thing you could do, and make yourself un-datable. One guy even said it's like tattooing HIV/AIDS spreader on your forehead. 

A response:

As a gay man I can tell you it's all true! This has been going on since the 1990's. If you have sex with, date or are in a relationship with a black guy, you are viewed as a lowlife and rejected by all other racial groups across the board.

The sad fact is white latin or asian men who sleep with blacks are viewed as toxic and are no longer exceptable in bars, clubs and become socially revolting to non-blacks.
Racisim is very very real in the gay world. I also think this has alot to do with "down-low" black guys and fem acting black men and the large amount of black trannys.

White men who sleep with black guys are blamed for spreading HIV/AIDS to those who don't sleep with black men, thus putting them at greater risk. Also prop 8 support in the black community did not help matters. It has gotten so bad that black clubs for black men are on the increase, due to them being rejected in the mainstream clubs.

Later Edit: On matters gay and race, take a look at Rice Queen, Potato Queen.

20 comments:

  1. Racism is taught, or acquired, unfortunately. We are not born with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, you only have to watch kids playing to know that.

      Delete
  2. This is fascinating stuff. Maybe it's a girlie hangover from feminist days, but the first time I met some gay women who were totally xenophobic it shocked me. How can someone who is often on the receiving end of unthinking hatred or animosity [even violence] not question their own unthinking bigotry?

    Then [don't tell any one] I saw an episode of Law and Order which was about a black man getting some "on the low down". No groups wants to own its gays - it's always a sickness that only white/ anglos/ asians have. Of course prop 8 got a lot of support from the "I'm not really like that it's just..." groups.

    The term "chubby chaser" was around when AIDS first became a huge issue - which struck me as ludicrous. It would only take two people spending time with someone chubby or unattractive to start an epidemic. Not to mention how shallow the idea is.

    I suspect 'myths' about AIDS are either deluded or just a very thin excuse for bad behaviour.
    There's nothing wrong with having preferences, but the negative approach is pretty horrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, discrimination by gays against other races is quite a paradox. I suspect much of the behaviour of a certain type of gay men at least, comes from the bitchiness that they are supposed to conform to.

      Delete
  3. agreed. Just because one group of people is marginalised and oppressed, it doesn't necessarily give them any insight into, or tolerance towards other marginalised and oppressed groups. Tragic and hypocritical.

    It reminds me of refugees who arrived in Australia in the 1946-56 era, with nothing but the clothes that Red Cross gave them. 60 years later the early refugees are opposing equally desperate refugees ...who bring nothing other than the clothes that Red Cross has given them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, you are right. It seems to give no insight, nor sympathy.

      Delete
  4. Hello Andrew:
    This all makes for very sad reading. Prejudice and hypocrisy remain one of the great evils [if that is not too strong or emotive a word] of our times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayLa, it is understandable in animals, but we are supposed to be superior.

      Delete
  5. All of this is news to me. I had no idea racism was so rampant in the gay community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, to be honest, I am a bit out of touch now, but it certainly used to be.

      Delete
  6. Hi Andrew

    There can be no expectation of equality of access, racial or otherwise, in self-selecting groups who choose their members based on physical appearance and/or shared culture. And neither should there be.

    Racism is not about not wanting to have sex with someone who's black or Asian. If an individual or members of a social group want to advertise their exclusive membership requirements in public media, they should be specific without being offensive. 'White guy preferred' is direct but civil and will prevent embarrassing rejections.

    Having said that, I think that any and all stereotype profiling is culturally oppressive for all of society. Dinge queen certainly sounds derogatory to me as an outsider.

    xxx

    Pants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Pants. There is nothing wrong with preferences and these can be expressed without being negative about those who you don't desire. Funnily, I first heard the term about twenty years ago from a guy who picked it up in London.

      Delete
  7. I had no idea.....

    Then again, what if you're a gay Native American?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, I expect they are invisible.

      Delete
  8. Well I never..no really I never!! You do provide us with some very thought provoking issues Andrew, I would have thought life would have been complicated enough without bringing colour into the mix!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grace, knowing where you come from, I am not sure if you are being tongue in cheek. Just from what I have heard anecdotally, there is a very firm line in the SA gay scene.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where does that leave gay Aboriginals? Preferences are fine. Evangelising against other peoples preferences isn't just NOT fine, it's fundamentalist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, they are invisible in Melbourne, but I do remember some in an Adelaide venue in the early eighties. They did not seem segregated.

      Delete
  11. Andrew

    I read that exchange where it came from. I've no idea about the true situation in the USA but the response struck me as striking at some possibly exaggerated straw-man prejudices, and the responder seemed to have a few of his own bees-in-bonnet about prevalence of "down-low" (I think that means secret), fem and tranny black gay men and what people think about that. So I'm not sure that he is a very reliable informant on the HIV question.

    I've written a post on a related topic under the heading "Rice Queen, Potato Queen." I'm assuming your comments don't take links as I've never seen one here, so I shan't try to give one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcellous, I took neither too seriously, not to say it isn't a serious issue. But it was something I wasn't really aware of and a reinforcement of very old prejudices such as 'cleanliness'.

      You can link in comments, but it is time consuming. I added a link at the end of the post. I couldn't for the life of me remember where I took that information from, but it just occurred to me that it might have been Same Same?

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.