Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Crossing two rivers Pt 1

I am on a bus on my way to Footscray. Look, the wheel is nearly fixed.

Beware! St Monica's catholic primary school has scarecrow protection.

No more do wharf labourers lug sacks around on their shoulders. Our ports are very highly mechanised and can move thousands of arriving plasma tvs an hour.

A little cutesy work at a roundabout. Is it Noddy's car?

Footscray is not very far from the city and unlike much of the eastern and south eastern suburbs, it has a good view of the city skyline.

A nice looking cafe with lots of Mums and toddlers.

Down on the banks of the Maribyrnong River was a a rear view of a very substantial property. Let me check. It may well be the rear of the Footscray Community Arts Centre and possibly the rear of the cafe above.

Damaged table top. It is nice to install such things, but there must always be a maintenance allowance.

There are many rotting wharf timbers along the river bank. The do add character.

Footscray Jetty with the Footscray Road/Napier Street bridge.

Under Footscray Road/Napier Street I walk, by way of a tunnel.

The much more substantial Footscray Wharfs. There were quite a number of fishermen(sic) trying their luck. The area was very industrial but now is partly residential.

Back a bit from here, the old train line could still be used but obviously now in this section, it is unusable. Where is it from and where does it go? Wait. It leaves the main Footscray train line just after the river crossing and then branches after Lyons Street and soon ends. Well, that took some time. One map I have has the line ending after Somerville Road where it is called Footscray Goods Line and I can trace it to there with photo maps. I suggest it was simply the Footscray Goods Line.

Later Edit: All you needed to know about the Maribyrnong River Line and more. Amazingly, it was still open until 2006. Thanks Marcus.

More soon, including the purpose of my visit to Footscray.

15 comments:

  1. The last photo reminds me of Bondi Junction mall where faux tram tracks have been laid into the mall's surface as a reminder of the real trams that ran down the road which existed there decades ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, we were there as the mall was being renovated and the original tracks were exposed. I love it when old buried tram tracks spoil the plans and budgets of road engineers. Old Sydney tracks have a special propensity to occasionally expose themselves in the middle of roads.

      Delete
  2. The railway tracks you found were the former Maribyrnong River goods lines.
    http://www.railgeelong.com/lineguide/maribyrnong-river

    Opened in 1921, they ran from the Werribee line tracks near South Kensington station, then south along the river to a collection of sidings near Yarraville. The last trains ran back in 2006, and earlier this year the mainline connection was severed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcus. It is very comprehensive. While I have looked at Rail Geelong often enough, I did not think to check there.

      Delete
  3. Nice photos Andrew. Footscray looks to be a nice place to retire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, some parts are nice, but generally, no, not for me. It is a street drug centre and all that is associated with that. I was on the edge of the suburb.

      Delete
  4. Those rotting wharf timbers look a little forlorn. I like the jetty and road bridge under it, it looks like a nice place to toss in a line and pretend to be fishing while reading a book or three. I like the scarecrow too and "Noddy's" little yellow car. I think it's very sad that Noddy has been cleaned up to comply with political correctness. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen any Noddy books for quite some time. I used to LOVE them when I was little.
    The decoration around that tunnel is lovely, there should be more of that going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing for sure River, I would not be eating any the fish caught there. The river is full of metals and flows through industrial areas. I think I heard parts of the Noddy books have been restored to the original. Yes, I liked the tunnel entrance, but a couple of bits at the bottom had fallen off, which spoiled it a bit.

      Delete
  5. Hi Andrew, may I ask what route you are travelling? This is mighty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. FC, I left the bus at Hopkins and Moreland Streets and walked along Moreland Street and then down to the river and along to Parker Street and then later along Whitehall Street, then Hopkins Street to the Footscray train station. Is it really interesting or are you being sarky? It might become a little clearer with the subsequent post, perhaps Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot deny that I sometimes struggle to curb my sarkiness, but on this occasion the truth is the best way to see a city is to buy an all day ticket and hop on a bus/ train. I've not seen Footscray for years and am curious about changes. Well, decades, really.

      Shall check out google maps [after I put the bins out] and this will give me some sense of where what I am looking at is located.

      Seriously.

      Delete
    2. The bins FC. Oh no, not the bins. Don't put them there.

      Delete
  7. Footscray was always an intriguing place for me and one of the areas we seriously considered buying/living in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Kath, intriguing can be ok for a while, especially when you are young, but it can become quite wearing after a bit. You chose better neighbours. Hehe, I remember you and a much younger Sapphy walking around the local park. No tears now.

      Delete