Saturday, November 03, 2012

Bringing a tale and a photo together

A while ago I read somewhere that there was a Big W in South Yarra. News to me. I meant to check where and I forgot. Then I heard mention of it again, and I thought, must be in the Jam Factory, but never bothered to check.

The third time I heard about it, right enough is enough. Must have taken over the closed Borders book shop part of the Jam Factory. No hang on, Topshop opened there. I checked where it was and a visit fitted into my plans for the day. It is in Chapel Street between Toorak Road and the river.

I left the tram and to my surprise, there was not only Big W, but a supermarket along with cafes of course, and speciality shops. How did this happen before my eyes and me not knowing about it?


Our view of the Como building is disappearing behind a Toorak Road highrise development. I once posted a  photo of the evening sun glinting off the Como building, but that won't happen again once Como disappears.

But we did get a serious reflection from this new recently built building. It is rather tall and not at all in proportion with its surrounds. Having said that, I don't mind the design, and guess what? At the base of the building is where Big W and Woolworths have opened. As Dorrie would have said, why wasn't I told?

I checked out the car parking cost, should we want to get our large and heavy box of washing powder from there and it is complicated. It is $2 for the first hour, but if you spend money in a shop, you get the first hour free, after going through a complicated process of taking your receipt to an office and claiming a refund. $30 or more spent, and you get longer parking, following the same process. I think I would rather pay $2, which is probably what they are banking on to pay the wages of the attendant who does the free parking refund. What?

The area bounded by Toorak Road, South Yarra Station, the river and a bit east of Chapel Street has been transformed from a light industrial area to a modern and quite thriving area. I don't really have an opinion yet as to whether it all works, but it is better than Docklands. 

10 comments:

  1. I visited the Docklands about two years ago, had a look around and i wasn't impressed at all by what i seen its very, very over rated indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was there last week Windsmoke. It is an odd place.

      Delete
  2. Re you not remembering whether there was a brand new and very large Big W in the Jam Factory, or not.

    There is something very weird in the human mind that makes us forget what was there before and why a bit of landscape look different now. You can know a house, shop or tram stop VERY well, then within 10 minutes of seeing the changes, the brain has accommodated to the new environment.

    Unless you are outraged by the loss - then the brain just sees destruction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, you are so right. I pass something under construction and wonder what was there before, often on a street I travel along regularly.

      Delete
  3. I've been in the Vogue Centre a few times, it's always relatively quiet during the day. I love me a Big W store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that what it is called Fen. I did wonder.

      Delete
  4. My daughter and I had a similar feeling today. We were walking through Gawler Place in the city when she suddenly stopped and said, "hang on, I was here three days ago and I'm sure this cafe wasn't here then!"
    The last time I was in a Big W the place was a complete shambles. They were having a massive stocktake sale and stuff was absolutely everywhere. Nothing was properly organised and it was impossible to find what I wanted. I've never been back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, dissing the opposition? Things do change very quickly.

      Delete
  5. Moonee Ponds had the same complicated parking arrangements, but Tight Arsed Me always made sure I got my receipt stamped and my parking for free. It continues to annoy me that we have to 'pay' to park our cars in order to go into the shops, spend our money and fill up those cars with the goods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, I guess people would abuse it if it was free. No doubt you get used to parking system, but does seem complicated.

      Delete