Sunday, November 11, 2012

Bits

To begin with the important stuff, didn't Camilla look generally boringly beigely dressed while she was here in Australia. Even our ruler, the Battenberg woman, is not afraid to wear strong colours. Yet I just saw Camilla in New Zealand and she looked ok, in black and white. I kind of like seeing Chas and Cam together. They are such a suitable couple and I will have no truck with R saying, 'it is a pity he had to bump off his first wife to find true love'.

Last night before slumber I noticed a tweet from the Minister for Public Transport, Daniel Bowen. The tweet suggested the Queenscliff Blues Train had crashed. Naturally when I woke this morning, I expected to hear about it on the radio news. No, not at six, nor seven, but eventually on the 7.45 news. Nothing in electric newspapers either, early in the morning. It was simply a stupid car driver at a level crossing getting in the way of the train.

Last night we dined at Tandoori Cottage in East Malvern, as we have many times, always having the minimum priced banquet. The staff are usually male, but last night they were female. One who served us was of Indian origin but very Australian and it made such a difference being able to easily communicate with the staff. I actually heard the names of the dishes when they were served. Good tucker, as always. I recommend the joint.

R's Garmin sat nav froze last Friday. I/we spent much time trying to get it to boot up, without success. I googled, I read FAQs, I did everything. We returned it to Harvey Norman in town but it has to be sent away and R would be without it for at least a few days. He needs it. He is not a map reader person and might go to five different address in a day while working. He enters the addresses the night before. So, he just bought another one, a NavMan this time. The cost was outweighed against the stress of having to try to find his way around by the Melways. No, google maps on the phone won't do, even though we have the car bracket. The second sat nave does some things better than the other one, but other things not as well, which is exactly what you would expect for similar level machines.

What on earth did the BBC do? Without knowing the details, a current affairs show accused someone mistakenly? It was so serious, the boss of the BBC has resigned. Gee, given the Jimmy Saville business, you would think staff would be extra careful.  As for Saville and the BBC perhaps overlooking the blunt instrument it was being hit on head with, they were perhaps different times. What is now judged as a serious crime, perhaps in the past was a bit of a nudge nudge, wink wink matter. I don't recall any mention of him having sex with anyone prepubescent but the law states a certain age. Without doubt, he was wrong. But I wonder should I have older guys who I hit on when I was young charged? Of course not. There is young and there is young and it is an absolute minefield. It is often suggested that it is about power, but in Saville's case, I doubt it. He was just there for what he could get, some instant sexual gratification. While he was a serious sleaze bag, was he really a pedo in the non legally defined manner?

After three weeks of 7.30 rises, today it was a 6 o'clock rise. The sunrise was stunning. Seven balloons landed in Fawkner Park. Best of all, a huge cruise liner arrived, apparently the biggest by passenger numbers to ever dock at Station Pier. I wonder if my new camera captures the ship any better than my old one could snap an arrived ship. You be the judge. I think it is better. Click on it to see a bigger Voyager of the Seas.


The sun is setting at the Highrise. R cleaned the place from top to bottom today. It is sparkling. Outside on the balcony, the traffic has died off, as had the wind, and only the white noise from Kingsway remains. It is pleasantly warm this evening, at 24 degrees but in no time at all, I will be complaining about the heat.

I suppose I should say life is good.




13 comments:

  1. I think the cruise liner photo is stunning Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. Tradesmen need to praise their tools when things work out well.

      Delete
  2. My favorites - Chas and Cam
    and
    being able to understand the waiter.
    Oh, the cruise shot is indeed a good one when enlarged. Life sounds good Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rubye. It is funny what a difference it makes when someone speaks your language.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with R that Princess Diana was bumped off by persons unknown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly convenient Windsmoke.

      Delete
  4. Regarding the BBC not taking action regarding the Saville story. I am not sure it was because what is now judged as a serious crime was possibly regarded more benignly in the past.

    I worked in Community Services Victoria for ages where most senior staff KNEW about a famous television personality in Australia fondling 12-13 year old girls. But he was seemingly immune to prosecution :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, without a doubt things were viewed more benignly. I don't believe that many parents of children abused by priests did not have a clue. I am sure people looked the other way. The church was all powerful, as was the priest.

      Well chickens are coming home to roost on one such person as you describe.

      Delete
  5. Not many big cruise liners make it to Adelaide, but I enjoyed watching one come in while living in Semaphore. I watched it first from my balcony, then raced down to the beach to keep watching with a pair of binoculars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, we have an acquaintance who lives right where they dock in Melbourne and he remains excited everytime a ship arrives. There are 58 scheduled this season.

      Delete
  6. Looks like the new camera works very well and I assume this is a zoomed photo in which case you have done nicely. Interesting light too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Victor, zoomed in. Hardest thing for me to do is keep my hands perfectly still. It was not long after dawn, so the light was quite harsh but lit the ship up well.

      Delete
  7. oh I always miss it when the big boats come in!
    Great pic.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.