Saturday, November 24, 2012

A Garden Walk Pt 2

Before we left the gardens, I briefly puzzled over the purpose of this what looks like boiler. I concluded we are standing where there was an old greenhouse and this was the heating stove.

At the exit is an eco-centre, whatever that means. I would guess this colourful display shows discarded plastics that can be found in our seas. Don't discard your plastics.

As I have name dropped before, in the eighties we lived next door and were friends with artist Albert Tucker's sister. He spent the last years of his life in a large rambling house at the corner of Blessington and Herbert Streets. A plaque notes his residence.

We had lunch at what might be called Lola's Tapas or Charlie Brown's. Neither name sounds familiar but it was a lovely meal.

I can't read this here but I understand this is the full text, spread over three metal ribbons. I love it. The artist is Simon Perry.

“They wandered by it’s sane seas because it was a more generous city, not as mean as the others, where they would be singled out as being queer if their lipstick were skew whiff or buttons undone, or speech slurred or hands shaky and yellow with nicotine”.
History of St Kilda — Anne

6 comments:

  1. I am absolutely susceptible to name-dropping :) Not only were you friends with a famous artist's sister, you may well have sat in Albert Tucker's chair or seen Albert Tucker's works on her walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, we certainly saw his work on her walls.

      Delete
  2. That certainly does look like an old boiler, it reminds me of the ones on old steam engines where the coal was shovelled in.
    The plastics collection is almost an exhibit on its own.
    I've been making a huge effort the last few years to make sure plastic doesn't go into my regular rubbish bin. All into the recycling, even the tiny bottle caps and bread bag tags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do too River, but it seems so many just don't care and throw plastic away anywhere.

      Delete
  3. the boiler is more attractive to me than most street sculpture.
    Love Albert Tucker's work. It was brave and dangerous in the context of the era he produced it.
    Another lovely post HR. X X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann, I am only assuming its original purpose, but it is plausible. Tucker was a weird artist, yes, dangerous.

    ReplyDelete