Monday, October 08, 2012

This tram stop is not a tram stop


I left Southern Cross Station and I wanted to go down Bourke Street. The pedestrian lights to cross Spencer Street went green and a number 86 tram was sitting at the stop, ready for me to get on, but the driver would not let me on. She gesticulated for me to go around the corner where there is a platform stop. I glanced up at the tram stop sign and noted two route numbers but unfortunately I did not absorb the numbers. I quickly moved to the stop around the corner and caught the tram.

As the tram proceeded along Bourke Street, I was thinking, that is not right. How can it be a tram stop for some trams and not others? If I ran across the road against the lights at the last minute when the tram was about to get a signal to turn, I can understand the driver not letting me on, but there was plenty of time.

Before I left the tram, I asked the driver if where I tried to get on was no longer a tram stop. She said it is for some trams but not the 86 tram as the stop gets too busy and crowded with people coming out from So Cross Station. Riiiiight.

I have looked at various websites but as the stop around the corner is so close, there doesn't seem to be any difference noted. I do know only two tram routes go past that stop, hence the two route numbers.

I am just going to have to go back and check, unless one of you knows.

Later Edit: While I did not take any details, from my camera I can work out the time. If my suspicions are correct, I may well follow it up.


12 comments:

  1. Your tram stop dilemma is not at all surprising. Common sense is the most uncommon of all common things, and the managers in this state are uncommonly thick. Dense. Blinkered.

    But this particular tramstop problem is just one teeny tiny itsy bitsy teeny weeny nonpareil in a whole bucketful of hundreds and thousands of problems in this state.

    I can almost see the motivational poster on a wall inside the Department of Transport. It says "Mussolini might have made the trains run on time... but look what happened to him!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, there is a website devoted to public transport problems. I wonder if it makes a difference.

      Delete
  2. Waiting with bated breath Andrew!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto Windsmoke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's still a tram stop for route 86.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielbowen/8069433266/in/photostream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daniel. I thought it would be strange if that was the case. Bit cheeky wasn't it.

      Delete
  5. It makes sense, in an odd way. Like the bus stops here in Adelaide. There are numerous stops along King William Street, Currie Street and Grenfell Street, but not all buses stop at all stops. They have their designated stops and if you're waiting at the wrong stop, they won't stop for you no matter how vigorously you flag them down. You need to be at the correct stop. Imagine the chaos if anyone could flag down any bus anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, sorry, it doesn't make sense for trams. Buses being able to overtake makes you system work. Well, the buses we have running too, but it is quite different for trams.

      Delete
  6. Yarra Trams seems to be doing their best to get people to use the next stop up on Bourke Street - here is a photo from the Spencer Street stop:

    http://railgallery.wongm.com/tram-infrastructure/E115_4823.jpg.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus. I think it is either a stop or it isn't. I don't recall that the large sign was there when I was at the stop. No doubt it would be closed down if it wasn't for the 75 tram. The situation as it is, is plain silly.

      Delete