Saturday, October 13, 2012

Sexist Pig

Apparently I have misunderstood the word misogyny for rather a long time. I always thought it was a step beyond sexism. Apparently, it means woman hater. I have called people I know misogynistic but clearly that was a wrong call. No one I know is a woman hater. Some may have poor attitudes to women, but of course the women they know are ok. Substitute racism or homophobia and that works just as well.

While the fine nuances of politics are endlessly fascinating, it is the out there things we notice, via the media filter of course.

Just because Australia has a female Prime Minister and female Governor General, does not mean Australia is not sexist.

Photo from Fairfax Press.

Prime Minister Gillard seemed to speak from the heart and impromptu but as what she said went viral around the world, I rather wish she had polished what she said beforehand.

What our PM essentially said, was don't attack me because I am woman. She has a point. I do not recall a male politician attacked with such vehemence as Julia has been. She stands above it all.

Although I was a Howard hater and I did not like him, at times I admired him, especially his political skills.

While I've have never loved Julia, I do respect Prime Minister Gillard. 

But my extremely cynical almost 55 year old self is starting to really like our Julia. If she bopped the evil Abbott on the nose and got done for assault, I would still give her a character reference. 


16 comments:

  1. 'almost 55' eh? I beat you to it then by a whisker- nearly two months ago...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KN, you being a blood rel, how good is it that we have kept our looks and figures at our age!

      Delete
  2. I don't know what 'mysogyny' means either. can't even spell it.

    Hope you are having a big ol' time tonight, and a gorgeous Sun-birth-day tomorrow.
    wishing you many happy returns too X X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, it was a pleasant evening. Home by ten thirty. Tomorrow's low key lunch has turned into something bigger than Ben Hur.

      Delete
  3. I never knew what misogyny meant, which is odd, because when I don't understand a word I usually look it up in my dictionary. I'm not a huge fan of Julia Gillard, (or any politician), but she seems to handle the insults thrown her way rather well.

    You're having a birthday?
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River. I guess you have to have a pretty hard streak in you to get to be PM.

      Delete
  4. I would have respected Howard and loathed Abbott, regardless of their views about carbon tax, sinking refugee boats, ending free university education etc etc etc. But it is Abbott's views about women in power, women making independent decision, contraception, abortion and sterilisation that make me sick with fear.

    Julia Gillard was viciously attacked for being "sterile" and "unwomanly" for not having given birth to babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Hels, but even if the worst happens, remember it is not the Prime Minister who governs, but the party. We can only hope the moderates pull back any Abbott extremism.

      That remark was from the disgraceful Heffernan. How could anyone vote Liberal when the party is filled with creeps like him.

      Delete
  5. Michael10:31 pm

    You're 55? No. Really?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just kidding Michael. I am really a very handsome 35 year old.....well in my imagination.

      Delete
  6. You're having a birthday? Many more - and good ones at that!

    Not sure I have much respect for politicians in general, though their behaviour suggests my disrespect is reciprocated tenfold.
    On this occasion, Gillard performed well.

    As for Abbott... be afraid: Be very afraid.
    I'm not sure he is a misogynist - to hate women he would first have to consider us relevant.
    The word ignorant springs to mind... as do many others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, to be ignored or seen as irrelevant is the ultimate insult. Mr Rabbit hasn't gone that far.

      Delete
  7. Julia and Tony - show ponies would be good to have leaders who had actually done something other than be solicitors or accountants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only agree MC.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad she didn't polish what she said, as she would have made a hash of it. The speech will go down as one of the most defining of her career.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cath, you are probably right. Had a speech writer had a hand in it, the message would have been 'too nice', and not seemingly from the heart.

    ReplyDelete