Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Out with the old

I feel incredibly cruel and unappreciative when something like our balcony cyclamen , which has given us so much visual pleasure for months, is just thrown down the rubbish chute like vegetable peelings. But what else can I do? I have planted a whole punnet, eight, petunia seedlings in a not so large pot. I am not sure if it is such a good idea to put so many seedlings in one pot, but otherwise, remaining seedlings would be thrown out too. This is the first time I've planted seedlings in a pot for over a decade and I am a little rusty. A few days after planting, they have 'taken' and are looking good. Should I 'prick' a couple of the smaller ones out?

R and I haggled over the petunia colour. I won......except, now I can't remember what colour they are. Such a hollow victory but it will be a nice surprise when they flower.


8 comments:

  1. Poor old cyclamen Andrew..but to be fair, I find them pretty tricky too and they quite often suffer the same fate..minus the rubbish chute haha! We really needed a visual of the petunia situation to be able to judge the overcrowded issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, you can see the seedlings in the photo.

      Delete
  2. Too many petunias? Buy another pot. buy two more pots and get wider ones. They're going to be terribly crowded in that one little pot.
    I had a half-dead cyclamen given to me one year by the M-I-L. I cut it back, watered it well and it lived and flowered for two more years. Then I cut it back again, planted it in a shady garden spot and it thrived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, we just don't have the space for more pots. I seem to recall doing the same years ago with a cyclamen. I might have to remove a couple of seedlings, at least.

      Delete
  3. Every time a cyclamen goes down a rubbish chute, an angel falls out of the sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Ad Rad, you are making me feel worse.

      Delete
  4. Survival of the fittest, just leave them and they'll be fine. If they're not they'll just die and then you can pull them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty well as I am doing Fen.

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.